Pronunciation pet peeves - or how to engage in passive aggressive pronunciation

Should of. Could of. Would of.

/shudder

4 Likes

I think of that as a lazy mouth, like “libary” instead of library. The announcer who says “This is PRI…Public Radio Innernational” (dropping the “t” in “international”) drives me crazy.

I’ve been told I pronounce it incorrectly as well. Sari!

1 Like

I didn’t hear it at all until I moved to pacific northwest. Now I hear it all the time. Drives me nuts.

Also currently driving me nuts is “on accident”

Did you watch a lot of Kids in the Hall or SCTV growing up or something?

2 Likes

I’m a Cheesehead!

Plus SCTV.

3 Likes

For instance, one of the guys form The Pharcyde says sigh-REEN in the song “Officer,” and they’re from LA, but that is to illustrate that most afro-american communities have retained a lot of Southern-isms and pronunciation. But there are also white communities like that, too; Bakersfield, CA I’m told is that way.

But apart from Southern hold-overs? No, I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure you’d hear sigh-REEN in Texas and the South West, but that’s still south, I guess.

For me, I don’t think i’m consistent. depending on how I feel, I’ll speak properly or say any one of the “incorrect” examples ITT without being conscious of doing it. And I can consciously code-switch into witheringly proper or coursely improper if I want to make or emphasize a point. (My midwestern and southernisms can switch out consciously and unconsciously, too.)

1 Like

Oh, you would not do well in England or Wales :smirk:

I’m still not sure how to pronounce Worcestershire.

2 Likes

New England is largely Non-RhoticLand, so I grew up perplexed by my parent’s lack of final Rs. Like with most things, I treat it as a conscious choice, and used to ask them “Why do you do this?”, but got no satisfactory answer. Based upon my elocution, people often assume that I am a Brit who is overcompensating by trying to sound USian. But, really, it renders me sounding as if I am not from anywhere. I typically do over-enunciate using hard, clipped consonants. I do not understand people’s fascination with omitting Rs, Gs, Ts, etc - and I seriously hate it when such enunciation finds its way into text. Examples such as “gimme”, “wanna”, “dunno” irk me far worse than most any grammatical problems.

Wysiwyg, no?

4 Likes

I kinda like “dunno”…as long as it is used deliberately. :smiley:

Have you taken the survey that identifies where you grew up based on what words you use for certain things and how you pronounce them?

2 Likes

Too many consonants. I’m not even sure what I’m seeing. And the Welsh? They hide their vowels, disguising them as consonants.

2 Likes

It’s pronounced Birmingham.

6 Likes

:heart: 9 hour like deficit marker

2 Likes

People in Austin call Burnet street “burn it,” Guadalupe “gwa-da-loop,” Manor “may-nur,” and Manchaca “Man shack.” I’ve given up on Burnet and Manor, but I will never ever surrender on Guadalupe or Manchaca. Ever.

2 Likes

Growing up in California, I don’t think I’d be too tolerant of the Austin pronunciation of those either.

2 Likes

Oh, they use the Gwadaloop pronunciation in CA, too. In San Jose, for example.

2 Likes

I must have run with a different crowd in NorCal then, because everyone I ever talked to at least got the final syllable on there. It was well over a decade ago though.

Isn’t everyone in SJ a transplant from somewhere else who’s just there to add to the Silicon Valley hellscape? Pronouncing Guadalupe like that just confirms this suspicion.