Proposal to fight Twitter abuse with volunteer juries

[Permalink]

I’ve thought that crowdsourcing the filter is about the only way it could work. Another idea is to use some twitter analytics tool like ThinkUp.

1 Like

This concept has been around a while in the gaming world

http://www.ign.com/articles/r2011/05/24/riot-games-launches-player-tribunal-in-league-of-legends

I swore Valve was doing something similar to this in Counter Strike too, letting peers review shared video of purported cheaters to judge, but I can’t find anything about it.

I think it is a good idea to try, but Twitter is one of the worst product companies in the valley, they barely iterate on their product for years and years. I would not be holding my breath waiting for this feature to appear in Twitter anytime remotely soon.

1 Like

A couple of thoughts:

1. Traditionally, juries evaluate conduct against some defined standard of elements that constitutes an offence. Will this system use such standards? If so, who defines them, and how are they reviewed?

2. I’m not so sure this won’t be subject group problems. Not gamesmanship exactly, but more like a self selection bias involving the volunteers. There may be a danger that the most “pro-restrictive” users will be the most incentivized to be jurors, and thus will make decisions that would not reflect the judgement of the community as a whole.

4 Likes

Alternately the other problem, that it would reflect society, which considers horrible behavior, misogyny, racism, acceptable practices.

Natalie Portman and HOT GRITS!

I haven’t looked at Slashdot for over a decade, but someone with a low userid had to say it, you insensitive clod!

1 Like

I said this combination a number of times, but it does not make sense. Can you please explain?

Imagine a beowulf cluster of volunteer twitter juries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.