Leaked Twitter demo shows red banners to indicate lies and disinformation under tweets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/20/leaked-twitter-demo-shows-red.html

A leaked demo has bright red and orange marks on ‘harmfully misleading’ tweets

6 Likes

So every tweet from the hairpiece will have this then?

28 Likes

Not officially, but I bet there will quickly be many crowdsourced ones.

6 Likes

So this why Dorsey is moving to Africa, to avoid Cheetolini’s wrath.

4 Likes

It does raise the question of whether some accounts need to have a default value. (“Is this on Twitter? Chances are better than 50% that it’s just bullshit, or maybe a cat video.”)

6 Likes

Community-based monitoring that’s “like Wikipedia”?

Gaaahhhhh.

4 Likes

I hear that China’s got a great crowd sourcing system for this sort of thing on WeChat. :thinking: I’m sure they would be able to outsource there for a quick start.

6 Likes

Fuuuuuck, is Jack Dorsey a simpleton. I mean, a real over-educated computer-engineer simpleton who can’t understand why every problem can’t be solved by better programming five years too late.

You’ve already fucked news, government and free speech, Jack. Saying you’re willing to try crowdsourced condoms now isn’t really material.

7 Likes

Easy prediction, this will never be applied to anything Trump tweets.

4 Likes

My prediction is that this will be applied to everything that anyone who disagrees with Trump tweets and after a couple of weeks they’ll pull it for a rework that will never happen.

17 Likes

If only it were possible to predict that such a system can be cheaply exploited by bad faith actors!

12 Likes

Wonder if they used orange because it matches Trumpy’s synthetic complexion?

6 Likes

$10 says this was leaked because the company decided not to use it and the people who made it are trying to make it happen.

$20 says it’ll never roll out.

8 Likes

Yup, exactly right.

The problem with “crowd-sourced” solutions is they assume the crowd is operating in good faith; That seems a little optimistic for Twitter politics.

10 Likes

Of course not. Tweets that support the perpetual use of hair-replacement and chief-executive-replacement products are always in the national interest.

1 Like

Why do you think they picked orange?

3 Likes

Funny they went with Bernie as an example of a major politician hit by this. Seems like there was a much more obvious example; an elephant in the room, as it were.

8 Likes

For what it’s worth, there’s a chrome browser extension called Bot Sentinel which will highlight tweets by people most likely to be untrustworthy or bots. https://botsentinel.com/

Example:

2 Likes

I’m sure there is absolutely no chance that right-wing groups, hate groups, or bot-nets will gang up to flag everything left of trump as “lies and disinformation”, as they currently do to file massive numbers of false abuse reports to take down Twitter accounts they don’t like.

4 Likes

Everything in Wikipedia is supposed to be based on “Reliable Sources”, which means NYT, WaPo, etc.

So the Iraqi WMDs were Wikipedia facts until it became embarrassing, whereupon that article disappeared without trace.
:face_vomiting:

2 Likes