Proposal to split California into six states will appear on 2016 ballot

I’d rather see a motion to strip statehood from Wyoming and other benighted underpopulated “states” with 1/80th the population of California.

But, yeah: this is just one asshole’s scheme to never again pay taxes, plus to engineer Republican control of the country by assigning yet another pair of senators to underpopulated parts of the country.

4 Likes

That’s true. I wasn’t thinking about the aggressiveness of paid petition-circulators, and the likelihood that the people who signed it didn’t even know what it was for. (I’ve often had paid petition-circulators straight-up lie to me about their petitions.) This is going to fail so hard when it shows up on the ballot.

I would not have believed it possible for anyone to be more full of himself than Donald Trump until I saw those videos.

5 Likes

The first part of Gibson’s Bridge Trilogy is coming true. Next, a spontaneous, anarchistic community must be built on the Bay Bridge!

5 Likes

That’s because this is far worse than gerrymandering - there’s not even the pretense of creating states of similar population sizes. The plan takes 90% of the state’s population, puts them in two states, and takes the more conservative 10% and turns them into four states. The states are just collections of counties to make it somehow seem natural (plus, redrawing all the counties to make new states would be extra crazy).

10 Likes

Which is why I now just tell them “I don’t sign ballot petitions.” That goes double for anything that legislatively locks down a percentage of the state budget - it makes it way too hard for the State legislature to do their effing jobs.

I hope Tim Draper is happy with himself for wasting everyone’s time and money.

2 Likes

I plan on getting citizenship with a Mr Lee’s Greater Hong Kong franchise anyway.

17 Likes

Isn’t California the best candidate for secession, not division? If anything it’s strength is its ridiculous geographic / population size relative to the rest of America.

Ahh well… anarchist fantasy of mine. :smile:

6 Likes

Now here’s the proper anarchist plan to put in to action. Let’s get this bill going.

Might as well see if Baja California and Baja California Sur want to join in the party. Real estate developers would be drooling at the prospect of so much beachfront property.

5 Likes

A crackpot idea endorsed by a rich person inherently has legs. It wouldn’t be America any other way.

4 Likes

Isn’t this the genius that spent 10 million all those seized bitcoins?

No, no, that’s impossible, because then they would need 76,680,000 US Senators, and they all have to be residents of California, so now they need 153,360,000 Senators…

2 Likes

We can’t even manage to divide our existing states into non-gerrymandered districts, and now you want to do it dynamically?

2 Likes

That could actually be a fun challenge! Election day would be like a flash mob, with the voting population racing around town checking their smartphone apps for last-minute updates on where their polling places were and who their representative of the hour was.

3 Likes

If it even makes it on the ballot: This guy has clearly not considered that there are no prisons in Silicon Valley and the current water contracts are drawn up in such a way that disproportionately benefit the southern part of the state. Water at $5/gal from the tap? Believe it!

1 Like

That’s because there is no crime in Silicon Valley.

1 Like

Party affiliation isn’t going to matter. The rest of the states aren’t going to like seeing the (former) state of California suddenly get 10% of the Senate.

Why couldn’t this blockhead billionaire just given me the money? I’d have thrown an ice-cream sandwich party for the Nation instead (on the shores of Lake Superior in January …)

1 Like

Well shit, I just learned this:

2 Likes

Well, luckily it seems like we won’t have to worry about California much longer, or worry a whole hell of a lot, depending on how you look at it….if we keep eating almonds

3 Likes