Prosopometamorphopsia causes people to see faces as distorted and "demonic"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/25/prosopometamorphopsia-causes-people-to-see-faces-as-distorted-and-demonic.html

5 Likes

The fact that that’s a thing suggests some deep witchcraft in the human visual system.

Obviously one can normally tell the difference between something and a photograph of it; if only because less of the world is matte, glossy, or LCD; but having visual distortions dig in to real faces but not to pictures of real faces is just wild.

Truly, Sheogorath’s Disease works in mysterious ways.

2 Likes

I wonder what would happen if they put on one of the new Apple AR glasses. They’re a screen with a camera feed after all.

5 Likes

That would be very interesting. On the basis of my, notoriously scientific, off-the-cuff suspicion, I’d suspect that it’s probably something about the motion/expression changes, not whether it’s a screen texture or a real texture, that tips them off; so I’d assume VR video passthrough would work(or just normal video; at least above a certain quality level); but the spitballing of an amateur is not really a substitute for empiricism.

2 Likes

FoxNews viewers are more susceptible?

1 Like

Wow! That is such a strong effect! :flushed: I struggle with “Magic Eye” pictures; but that video hit the ground running. Even when I looked away from the cross and then looked back; the effect immediately appeared.

In other news, members of QGOP council people against wearing sunglasses during the total eclipse.

2 Likes

aphex twin art GIF by hoppip

2 Likes

Wow.

Acid flashback.

1 Like

kevin smith mallrats GIF

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.