PSA: "The ATM, probably the best invention ever to exist."

Oh yes! I absolutely agree with that! I just wanted to point out the things to look out for the things to look out for - they are reasons to be careful in how you use it, but not reason to avoid it. It’s as secure as anything else you do with your bank

2 Likes

told you so agree GIF by Bounce

2 Likes

If he only creates and then clicks ‘send’ on transfers to his own account at the other bank, this should never be a problem for him. Especially if his phone is password-protected so that even if it’s stolen, the thief can’t get into his bank app.

Good reminder that if one’s phone is stolen, be sure to either change sensitive passwords (like banking) immediately, or remote wipe the phone to factory settings.

4 Likes

Robert Downey Jr Ok GIF

4 Likes

What? I thought he lived in the fridge and/or oven, and turned the light on and off! He’s in the ATM, too!

8 Likes

They still have better careers than the poor guy behind the little window in the urinal.

4 Likes

Oh No Mood GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

In the 1980s when I was an undergraduate, I remember having to go physically to the credit union, wait in line 10-15 minutes, and cash a check made out to “cash” in order to get pocket money (ATMs were beginning to appear but they weren’t ubiquitous) . It wasn’t until the early 1990s when I was in grad school that I had an ATM card.

3 Likes

Perhaps. But is that a good thing? It’s like how many countries seem to be moving away from common use of physical currency as well, expecting people to pay via card or app rather than just give notes and coins. Checks and cash may be “old-fashioned” but at least they aren’t bringing in additional layers to a two-party transaction which 1) cause additional expenses to the merchant which ultimately you pay for whether you know it or not 2) provide additional sources of data mining your purchases.

1 Like

Here in Ireland, many people prefer the convenience of an ATM installed in their own home…

4 Likes

I mostly agree with that but to be fair I think that processing checks also adds some cost to a transaction, which ultimately gets paid for by somebody in some form. But at least it’s not a percentage of the total purchase price so if you’re paying for a car with a check Visa isn’t making out like bandits processing that transaction for you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.