PSA: UK small businesses, don't get ripped off by BT's "PC Security" scam

Yup. Much worse.

I feel as if this needs another airing:

I thought British Telecom was crap; that they had attained the holy piss-pot of god-awful customer relations; and that no one, anywhere, ever, could be more disinterested, less helpful or more obstructive to delivering service to their customers. That’s why I chose NTL and because, well, there isn’t anyone else is there?

How surprised I therefore was when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and disappointment what a useless shower of bastards you truly are. You are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum, incompetents of the highest order. BT – wankers though they are – shine like brilliant beacons of success in the filthy mire of your seemingly limitless inadequacy

7 Likes

Well, yeah, NTL, obviously. I used to work for Telewest when they merged and it was awful.

1 Like

Talktalk Business are actually pretty decent. Low prices, works fine and the call centre is in the UK (Warrington, I think).

The consumer business may be worse, never used it.

I will pay you five dollars a month a watch a webcam of that same work and hope that a video of it works just as well!

I had a bad experience with BT that I haven’t forgiven them for yet. A local business tried to switch their phone line back to BT Business when it had been switched to another company without their consent.

My home phone number was similar to their business phone number. Someone mistyped something, and overrode the cooling-off period so that my phone line had already been switched before the letter advising me arrived. My home phone suddenly required me to dial 9 to get an outside line, and I began receiving business telephone bills.

I fell between the cracks of their complaints departments (business and residential). Somewhere in the middle of it all a second local business got accidentally dragged into it. BT ignored my attempts to complain, including the letter I sent to their complaints department (Special Delivery) on the ombudsman’s advice. It was only with the help of the ombudsman that it eventually got sorted out many months later. Ugh.

I get my phone now from my ISP (Zen Internet) and I’ve had almost no problems. The only issues I’ve ever had (like when they forgot to charge me for my calls! :smile:) were sorted out after a quick email from me.

1 Like

You assume recognizing BT’s mistake is the responsibility of the customer. Based on that logic the policeman who finally catches a habitual red-light-runner should be given citations for all the miscreant’s past misdeeds. In other words, your assumption defies basic logic.

Courtesy Google…
mudslinging- use of insults and accusations, especially unjust ones, with the aim of damaging the reputation of an opponent.

BT made the mistake. They had at least 84 opportunities to correct that mistake. They failed.

At what point did Mr. Doctorow insult BT as a company or any individual working for BT?

What did he write that was unjust?

3 Likes

As every scam artist knows, people see what they expect to see and they don’t see what they’re used to not seeing. If you don’t sign up for one particular service that gets added to a bunch of other items you have just signed up for, it’s not necessarily going to ping your attention, particularly if you’re in the midst of moving or setting up a new office, say. Once you pass over it once, it becomes more and more an automatic action.

So maybe Cory’s at some small fault for being robbed in this way, but you know whose fault it ultimately is? The thief’s.

2 Likes

Just in case you’re serious… If I recall correctly, Cory uses Linux, which wouldn’t pick up any Windows viruses if he downloaded the contents of every Russian and Chinese botnet on the planet.

I don’t know, would BT’s “service” even detect Linux malware?

I doubt that 90% of their ‘support’ staff even know what it is, given my time in the helldesk trenches.

My worst case was from a now defunct cable company in Canada.

As a poor starving student, I withdrew money from an ATM only to discover $1000 missing from my account. Frantically, I called my bank thinking someone hacked my account, only to discover that it was this cable company I used to use for internet access that took it.

It made no sense. I always paid on time, had no balance, and I had cancelled them when I had moved to a new apartment months prior. I used direct deposit to make the payments but I never suspected they could help themselves to that much money.

Of course, the bank was no help, telling me I’d have to speak to the cable company to get my money back. So I show up in person to their main office to get an explanation, and it turns out they were accusing me of not returning the leased modem I was using (even though I had) and for that, they fined me $1000.

Thankfully, a brief inquiry revealed that it wasn’t checked back into the system properly, they confirmed they had the modem all along and so they returned my money. But the experience left me unwilling to trust direct deposit for anyone else ever again because you never know when someone will clear your bank account first and ask questions later.

1 Like

BT are far from the best organised company but also operate OK for millions of customers.
Cory you are making yourself look a fool.
Seven years is a long time not to have spotted an unwanted service :wink:

1 Like

Believe it or not, there are ISP’s that are even worse than BT. Yeah, it’s hard to believe, but true…

Lesson learned: always cancel direct deposit/direct debits after final payment has gone.

Welcome to the BoingBoing forums, person who created an account to defend BT :wink:

2 Likes

3 Likes

That sweet, sweet smell of plastic grass…

1 Like

Thank you.

I’ve only just read the forum guidelines but I think we can both learn something from following them.

It was no defence of BT, I stated simple facts. BT have more than 7million broadband users.

It is worse.

Somehow I seemed to be charged by two phone companies for the same line, one of them TalkTalk. It wasn’t just because of overlapping part-months, which is a bit scuzzy but understandable.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.