Psychedelic reggae for deep heads

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/psychedelic-reggae-for-deep-he.html

5 Likes
5 Likes

Love this group! Found them in the early 2000s, and dig the hell outta them! Really, anything they ever did is worth a spin.

Essential

Dub is a whole universe of genres and sub-genres now. I like the really old-school Jamaican stuff from the '70s and early '80s. These are just called “versions” in Jamaica and are usually a remix of a popular vocal song. The best of these are a nice combination of weird and melodic, like this one:

There is also a more recent group, a collective called 10 Ft. Ganga Plant, that put out a whole bunch of albums. For example:

5 Likes

Ohh, Free Chant and the Songs Of Praise album was in heavy rotation in my student days. Also check out the Gary Clail / On-U Sound System ‎– End Of The Century Party. Adrian Sherwood and the On-U Sound System were very prolific and many of the session musicians appeared on multiple projects. Beef is probably the big tune from the End Of The Century Party album but there are lots of good ones if you like apocalyptical dub. Privatise The Air

1 Like

I saw African Head Charge open for Gary Clail with On-U Sound System while I was going to school in London in the Summer of '89. Killer show.

5 Likes

This album is most of what I know of/have heard from them:

Based on what I knew about them, and about Lee “Scratch” Perry, I expected this collaboration to be just jaw-droppingly weird and/or mind-blowing. It wasn’t (to me) – but it’s not bad.

1 Like

The new Lee Perry & Adrian Sherwood album “Heavy Rain” is well worth checking out too.

1 Like

amazing! this also seems like a good time to mention the sacred dub podcast:
http://www.sacreddub.com/podcast/
or

sadly, no new episodes in like 10 years, but I have listened to all 63 of those episodes many times. It leans more towards electronic dub, but not only.

Yeah, Time Boom X De Devil Dead is a so so album. Try Lee-Perry ‎– From The Secret Laboratory instead. It wont be jaw-droppingly weird and/or mind-blowing but its not bad and has the song African Headcharge In The Hackney Empire which takes us nicely back to the original topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember seeing Tackhead at Reading festival 1990 and presumably Gary Clail on the Friday according to the line up but I don’t remember that or a lot of the other bands. Do remember seeing Gary Clail at a smaller venue in Reading around 91 or 92 and that was a great gig. I don’t think I’ve ever seen AHC live sadly.

1 Like

Recently there was a great Earworm episode about the history of Dub. Well worth a watch.

I’m currently listening to this at the same time as I watch the “Salaryman dances to Disco Music” post, and it is sublime.

Yeah, it was a great lineup that year. Sadly, I remember very little of it…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.