Public sculpture makes wonderful sound when gravel is dumped into it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/16/public-sculpture-makes-wonderful-sound-when-gravel-is-dumped-into-it.html

10 Likes

ooh, love that. interactive, different every time, can be done singularly or in groups, uses the local environment without harming it… just awesome.

16 Likes
6 Likes

The rainstick is also easier to take to gigs.

5 Likes

For a moment, I thought this was a repost.

1 Like

First thing I thought of:

9 Likes

That’s at the Huntington Gardens children’s garden here in LA! I’m in love with that whole place, full of wonder and delight. And yes, I of course spent way too long playing with it.

My son and I made one the very next day - it’s just a bunch of finishing nails! - but the effect is sooooo lovely. Now all I need is a few hundred million dollars worth of botanical garden to place it in.

6 Likes

Nice! A bit like dropping a coin into a turbofan engine.

3 Likes

Here’s an expensive engineering equivalent

4 Likes

I love this! Interactive public art for the win. :heart:
There’s something similar at a local school, but made of plywood frame instead of concrete.
Another one I really like but can’t find an image of is the horizontal bicycle wheel you can spin, and there’s a pencil or twig on a string above it at just the right height so it bounces on the spokes. It also makes a really cool sound.

6 Likes

Oh boy! Check out Pinuccio Sciola’s work. He made amazing soundscapes using giant stones.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.