Publicly funded private school creates "poor kids' playground" for kids whose parents wouldn't contribute to new playground equipment

It would appear that this is what happened.

From the original article:

She added that a ‘couple of times a week’ a child whose parents had contributed could invite a friend that hadn’t paid to come and play with the toys.

Of course, the headteacher in question thinks she’s done absolutely nothing wrong, and sees herself as the victim.

“Schools get an awful lot of bad press for doing things that benefit the children,” Mrs Bull said

2 Likes

Kids gotta learn about class warfare sometime. . . .

7 Likes

GoFundMe a play-guillotine for the other kids?

3 Likes

I had to check, but yes, this is the same Toby Young who worked at Vanity Fair, who wrote a memoir upon which a Simon Pegg movie was based. Pegg really needs to do a sequel where the character goes back to England and finds the posh accent is not enough to make his “edgy” observations charming enough and must go full Bullingdon Tory to continue getting the attention he so pathetically craves.

2 Likes

please send message to the poor parents to immediately commence enculturating their beautiful pre-school age females against the ravaging menace of evil affluent males. war should commence soon after

I missed originally that her name was Ms Trunchbull

Actually, Lord Snooty was a likeable character.

Apparently (thanks scotiafile.blogspot.co.uk) they did try to have a
proper neo-liberal in the Beano.

Lord Snooty III (Marmaduke’s grandson) started to appear as a regular
strip in the Beano (2008), drawn by Nigel Parkinson. He is a repulsive
boy who wallows in wealth. Snooty III also has a long-suffering and
sarcastic butler named Parkinson. He has also formed his own gang,
consisting of an adolescent named Naz, a young Black girl named Frankie,
Emo, and One and Three the triplets (who claim that two does not ‘hang
out’ with them much). The strip did not prove popular among readers and
the comic series officially ended in 2011 after making less frequent
appearances.

When I was 5, 6 and 7, my primary playground was the landlord’s literal junkyard out back. It had a couple of cars, a bunch of appliances and lot of sharp and rusty metal. I even learned how to ride a bike there, on gravel. It was fun, and I did hurt myself, occasionally but never badly.

Then, when I was 11, the school I went to got new playground equipment. We were instruction on the only appropriate ways to use that equipment, and really none of it was fun, but at least it wasn’t only for the rich kids.

This whole thing makes me think my decision to never have kids was the best choice for me. I’d probably be labeled a negligent monster or something.

2 Likes

Thanks, I suppose! I followed the London Student link and ended up reading about Emil Kirkegaard and Tara McCarthy and their whole white supremacist/“white people are smarter than brown people are smarter than black people” shtick. Now I know that they exist, and that their ideas are current in the very highest circles in the British Tory party.

Though I might have had a happier life without that information. Such a bunch of utter douchebags.

Well, that apple was flung far from the tree, wasn’t it?

3 Likes

I believe I’ve located a picture of the witch.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.