Puerto Rico's Hurricane Maria death toll is 70 times higher than the official count

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/30/4645-vs-64.html

5 Likes

tumblr_inline_o7ldh7nQYS1rl31vl_500

8 Likes

Today it occurred to me that we always end up down in the weeds about how to properly count large numbers of dead due to government action or inaction during republican presidencies.

6 Likes

This is America… literally.

9 Likes

Where in the ever-cursed black-tar swamps that are their minds did they ever get the idea that that figure would be the least bit credible?

8 Likes

I don’t think that credibility is the administration’s primary concern.

9 Likes

I guess this is satire, though it is hard to tell these days:

The Trump administration arrived at its estimate by distributing paper towel rolls, guessing at how many would be needed to clean up after a tragic death, and then counting how many rolls were actually used.

Does anybody know the actual methods used to arrive at the official 64 number?

7 Likes

“The government protocol is for doctors to tell the government if a death was caused by Hurricane Maria. Families have to petition the government to investigate if they disagree with a doctor’s opinion.”

Outrageous

7 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing. “Wait? What?! Well… maybe. Okay. I can see that. But surely not. Surely.”

Either way, the “base” that voted for this political trainwreck will buy the “official” death toll amount and decry anything to the contrary as “false news”.

2 Likes

“Collateral Damage” is the counting method used by both sides, which are equally irresponsible for this.

It’s supposed to be. Rage is a very disorganized state of mind.

2 Likes

4 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.