1 in 500 U.S. residents now dead of Covid

Originally published at: 1 in 500 U.S. residents now dead of Covid | Boing Boing

11 Likes

U-S-A! U-S-A!

[truly the stupidest timeline]

21 Likes

WhY WoUld aNyoNE woRrY AboUt a DisEasE WITh A 99.8% SUrVIvAl rAte?

33 Likes

1 in 500 of the total population. 1 in 62 of people who have gotten covid.

But numbers won’t matter to those who have tied their sinking dingies to the GQP cult of death.

37 Likes

Bear in mind that these reports are using the official stats. They don’t count those who died of other conditions that were aggravated by COVID19, heart conditions, blood clots, pneumonia, even those who died of kidney failure while intubated. Estimates are that for every person who died directly from COVID, at least two others died an early death because of COVID.

Addendum: Also, it was reported early on in the first huge wave of COVID deaths, that Emergency Responders who discovered people who had died alone in their apartments were instructed to list the cause of death as ‘natural’, since they had no obvious evidence of COVID, and the medical examiners were so overwhelmed with corpses from hospitals that these ‘discovered’ bodies were never even tested for COVID. I don’t know if that policy has ever been changed.

32 Likes

COVID has killed 660,380 according to the CDC. Other ways to describe the death toll:

• More Americans have died of COVID than were military casualties in any single war. Total casualties for both sides in the American Civil War are estimated at 655k.
  • Only 24 cities in the United States have a population greater than the COVID death toll. It recently exceeded the populations of Portland, OR and Las Vegas, NV. With another 15k deaths it will pass Boston, MA.
  • Two US states (Wyoming and Vermont) have populations smaller than the number of people killed by COVID.
22 Likes

When we hit 1 in 5 the GOP/Qnuts will celebrate. Sadly so…

10 Likes

God… And then there’s all the people who have died indirectly because of COVID due to filled hospitals and reduced staff and fatigue. That will never be counted in any official death toll. So much death.

21 Likes

And yet I’m currently sitting in an in-person meeting with over 100 co-workers that could 100% have been a google meeting, and daily have to ask colleagues to keep their mask on and back up.

29 Likes
  • Roughly 233 9/11s, to give a timely comparison
15 Likes

166,000 Benghazis.

24 Likes

If only it were the death cult members and them alone. The only unfortunate part is that they spread it to innocent people, including children who have no say in the matter. If they want to kill themselves, that’s fine, I’m long past caring. But I just hope the entire death cult dies off before they can spread it to those of us who are vaccinated and taking precautions, because we did not sign up for this.

16 Likes

We can still track that number and point to the excess deaths statistics that the CDC reports. Since the start of COVID, the US has been running about +50% excess deaths than are officially attributed to COVID.

16 Likes

Well, yeah, but that’s just now, though.

3 Likes

The relative time frames are stunning, though. AIDS rolled up that total over a decade or more. Covid in 18 months. But it’s just the flu, right?

22 Likes

I see where you are going with that stat! Maybe the GQP will investigate it! :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Or to put it another way, again using some CDC data, back in January we had a 9/11 roughly each day. Now we’re only down to a 9/11 every two or three days. Back in June into July we were at a 9/11 every week and a half to two weeks.

11 Likes

Wow… I can’t get the graph to embed but here’s a link…

https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID_excess_mort_withcauses_09152021/WeeklyExcessDeaths?:embed=y&:toolbar=n&:tabs=n&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link

Look at Jan 2021 though… damn.

7 Likes

In absolute numbers, we are almost at 1918 counts (~675,000 United States deaths)

Although the US has over 3x more people now so percentage-wise it is not the same.

10 Likes

According to worldometer.info there have been 683,777 deaths from Covid in the US as of today.

2 Likes