1 in 500 U.S. residents now dead of Covid

So, just like the flu over the same time period right? I mean that’s what all the reich wingers keep harping on…

no?

Well, maybe knowing these numbers will get them to re-evaluate their worldview…
(ha ha sob…)

7 Likes

Not from an official source, but the Economist has done a pretty decent job of estimating ‘excess deaths’.

12 Likes

kristin-wiig-laugh-cry|nullxnull

7 Likes

Have they broken down those numbers? Because it’s not going to be distributed evenly.

I remember the 2nd Presidential debate when Biden said that 1 in 1000 US blacks had died of Covid, and that was a while ago.

3 Likes

Is that chart missing the reported excess deaths? Damn story behind a paywall, but they do show this chart on a different story which suggest the broader story is even worse.

The part that can’t be quantified- how many of these were avoidable but happened anyway because of public policy failures or just plain spiteful bullshit?

Please don’t answer that. Any number greater than zero is a failure, and we know the answer is a long way from zero.

5 Likes

I read that as the red shading at the end, but that is an interpretation.

2 Likes

I assumed that was a projection with confidence limits. Happy to be corrected.

2 Likes

Not really correcting. If that’s what it is, the captioning is shitty. If it’s not, there is a line missing. So yeah, interpreting with marginal confidence.

4 Likes

Interesting, but it’s behind a paywall.

For a number of months I’ve been following the EuroMOMO site, which is really good and has been running for years, so you can easily compare excess deaths to earlier years with influenza and other public health issues. It lets you sort by age cohorts, which is useful. I just wish it included the US and other non-European countries.

1 Like

In case anyone is wondering about the whole “excess deaths” thing, here’s a good summary.

The TL;DR is that the number of people who die from all causes combined is surprisingly incredibly stable year over year. So when one big new thing comes in, comparing total deaths to previous years is a very good way to catch all the real deaths from the new thing (rather than relying on official stats, which will always undercount the new thing).

15 Likes

Sob indeed. I wonder if things will change when it’s one or two deaths under the Dunbar number and everyone has lost someone.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.