Pumpkin carving tools and templates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/pumpkin-carving-tools-and-temp.html

3 Likes

Looks like one could use those for opening oysters as well.

Template is an interesting idea.(*)

I haven’t carved a pumpkin in years (as a Jew, celebrating Allhallowtide feels a little like cultural appropriation), but for speed and accuracy I strongly recommend a Dremel with a router attachment.

(*) Anyone have a good Kavanaugh template? That would be pretty scary.

Naw. Not quite there. My oyster shucking blades remind me of prison shivs.

2 Likes

One of the hardest things I’ve ever done was carve a pumpkin underwater, while scuba diving

I mean you can’t lead a sentence like that and not dive into it.

1 Like

And I’m finding it hard just to wrap my brain around the fact that you did that :smile:

“Professional”, huh? Is there something you haven’t told us? Like, are you developing a side business, just in case this BoingBoing thing doesn’t work out? :thinking:

2 Likes

I wish I could find the video of it, but a quick search is coming up empty. An underwater pumpkin carving contest takes place once a year during the Bamboo Reef chartered Halloween dive. It is really fucking hard. Pumpkins are buoyant. even just the shell.

The hardest part was getting the top off and scraping it out without losing it. Some folks did a really nice job making fish and things out of abalone shells they found at the bottom, etc. I barely got a basic jack-o-latern.

4 Likes

Teh Missus did some neat ones back in the day when our Mayor was a fucking mess - guess she’s got fuel for some with his brother now.

6 Likes

Here’s my homemade batterie de citrouille:

From the top: two cutters made from worn-out hacksaw blades, a paring knife with the blade ground narrow, a brass tube ground to an acute angle for making small round holes, and a couple of canning jar lids.

The hacksaw blades are ground to about 7mm wide with a 10cm blade and given simple handles. The top handle is wood, epoxied in place and pinned with finishing nails. That’s my “pride of craftsmanship” version. :rofl:

The second handle is two popsicle sticks hot-glued to the blade and wrapped with tape. I don’t recommend leaving out the popsicle sticks. I’ve found that I can tolerate a flexible blade when cutting, but a flexible handle just feels weird. This version actually works just as well as the fancy one.

When I say “worn-out” blades, I mean really dull. They cut pumpkins fine, but you can’t possibly cut yourself. I’ve turned six-year-olds loose with these and had them come back with all their fingers.

The paring knife is for cleaning up small details, and for opening up the holes internally to let out more light. Despite its appearance, it’s sharp. Six-year-olds don’t get to use this one.

The brass tube is for small holes like eye pupils. It’s easier to clean than a drill bit, although I’ve used drills too.

The curled edge of a jar lid is the best tool I’ve found for cleaning out the stringy mess inside the pumpkin and scraping the inside pulp smooth. Handles can get in the way in such a confined space.

6 Likes

Do you ever make prison shives? (Just kidding)

I think a couple of the tools pictured above qualify.

2 Likes

I kid! But that was my first thought. ;~}

1 Like

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/e9/9e/55e99ef6bd6a3aca1527c853a2583f63.jpg

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.