Punkt MP 01: a simple, but not uselessly minimalist basic phone

As a design nerd at heart, the whole idea of having a smaller amount of purpose-built, amazing-quality, make-you-happy, made-to-last things instead of a larger quantity of cheap crap is inherently appealing. Nice things are lovely, and I’m happy someone cares enough to make them.

That said, it has been argued ( 1 , 2 , 3 ) that this trend can be considered just another form of rich privilege. Being able to afford a $300 “basic”, twenty-dollar-class phone could be a fine example of this paradox of “minimalism” as wasteful I-have-more-than-you posturing.

2 Likes

Just get yourself a Vertu, @beschizza. You know that’s what you really want.

I think this one is very you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Vertu-Constellation-Quest-18K-ROSE-GOLD-DIAMONDS-Alligator-Leather-RARE-/321862150313?hash=item4af07aa8a9

4 Likes

The only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t have a QWERTY keyboard… But the price is a little steep, isn’t it.

1 Like

I think it’s the “aura” of exclusiveness and the specific style of the product descriptions, a weird mix of noblesse oblige, stiff upper lip and nerdy technical details.

Manufactum sells 10L plastic buckets for over 10 € per piece (okay, Swiss made, but still).

2 Likes

I think I found the source of the confusion. The company isn’t called Punkt. They’re called Punk’d.

2 Likes

I’d argue that the confounding factor, in this case, is that once you step into the realm of mass production; ‘cheap’ isn’t always crap; and short-run bespoke stuff can have to be eyewateringly expensive to even work, much less be ‘amazing-quality’. (It’s the “first unit off the line costs $500 million, second costs $50” model vs. something like handmade jewelry where design definitely costs; but materials and labor keep it expensive no matter how many you stamp out)

There are low-end phones that are genuinely worthless crap; or midrange phones that spend enough time trying to play high-end on a budget that they are nearly unusable; but there are also low-end phones as in “Years of market research, design, testing-to-failure, and refinement”. Nokia’s developing-world line, say, isn’t merely ‘cheap’, it’s ‘cheap; and designed to appeal to someone who can’t just buy another one if this one dies’. Yes, it’s plastic(though so is this, just with a classier paint job; it might be camera colored but it isn’t built like a camera); but it’s been tested against water and dust ingress, number of keypresses to failure, etc, etc.

Aside from studiously avoiding using any of the colors the LCD is capable of(though not actually going with a lower-power greyscale LCD, presumably for cost/volume reasons), there isn’t actually much ‘minimalist’ here that a designed-for-developing-world model doesn’t have, along with the virtues of low cost mass production(and typically a robust secondary market in replacement batteries and such, because the target audience can’t afford to just throw broken stuff away).

I think that that is what sort of irks me about this. It looks the part of ‘minimalist’ to the extreme; but is up against markedly cheaper competitors that are what someone who stamps out multiple millions of handsets a year knows about ‘minimal’; is arguably more style than substance in several respects(battery is ‘forgettable’ in its lifespan; can you get a replacement? It has a ‘camera’ finish; but over boring plastic, not the finely crafted metal people associate with that, it has a greyscale UI running on a stock color LCD, presumably because volume, a 2G modem is going to ensure shrinking service areas over the life of the device; and the tech specs are silent on keypad lifespan, moisture/dust ingress resistance, etc.)

There’s a sort of cargo-cult-minimal about it. It sure looks like what ‘minimalist’ is supposed to mean; but it only follows through a modest amount of the time. I think that it would be more appealing if it were either ‘minimalist’ as in ‘field tested mostly likely to survive rural Ghana at a price rural Ghana can afford’ or as in ‘hell yeah this is a toy for rich geeks; but just try to pretend that the gorgeously machined case, beautifully tactile keypad, and any-light transreflective screen aren’t sexy as hell’. As it is, it’s something like the ‘tacticool’ of minimalism.

4 Likes

T9 FTW.

1 Like

I bought one of them once for a friend as an emergency phone cos theirs was fucked and they were in a bad place & needed to be contactable. I paid four pounds for it. It still works, and holds plenty of battery years later. Setup on it was brilliant. It talks you through it, saying ‘HELLO WELCOME TO YOUR NEW TELEPHONE!!’ very loudly in a splendid Indian accent. Fantastic thing.

3 Likes

See above. I can hook you up man…

And get him a phone.

That is pretty much the niche of the Manufactum people whom @renke linked, except that they have luddite tendencies.

The catalog is full of wonderful things like $500 bathroom scales. This traditional fully mechanical single-purpose device will transport you into a world of beautiful things built to last that will never beep or crash or need a firmware update. And it will also tell all visitors in your bathroom that you are upper middle class as fuck.

2 Likes

Nokia 105. 20$. Support for 3G networks. Good dumbphone.

I bought a chinese dumb phone at Aldi for 16 AUD. It had two sim slots and a 3G radio.

1 Like

A flat we rented in Norway a couple of years ago had folding patio chairs designed by Jasper Morrison. They were so solidly made and comfortable that I actually looked on the bottom to see who made/designed them. (Up until then I’d assumed that plastic folding chairs were generic commodity items.) I don’t know if this phone is worth $300 (any more than I know if the chairs are worth $450/pair), but Morrison does good work.

1 Like

Reminds me of someone working at one of our customers.
I was told that $user was hainvg trouble with something or other, so I was shown to their computer while they were away from their desk. Pretty soon I realised something was wrong with the mouse, turning it over I found someone had taped a 2 pence coin to the bottom. It was at this point that $user came back through the office, phone glued to one ear.
“Did you know there was a 2p coin sellotaped to the bottom of your mouse?” I ask, “that’s why it’s not working very well”.
“Yes” they reply, “it’s there because I’m allergic to electromagnetic radiation”.
I looked at the ‘don’t even bother’ expressions of the people stood behind them and just gave it up as a lost cause.

5 Likes

So was I the only person to recognise the pen alongside it? A Lamy 2000? Bauhaus classic? Come on, people.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.