Punkt MP 01: a simple, but not uselessly minimalist basic phone

[Read the post]

1 Like

Given the company name, the price, and their other products/product descriptions, I canā€™t help but think this is all an elaborate practical joke.

5 Likes

Not sure, this is similar to the tone of manufactum - I think Punkt addresses a similar audience, only for technological minimalism.

[hmm, maybe youā€™re right and all stores like this are actually practical jokes at the expense of the target group]

Would be interesting to see if they couldā€™ve made the cellphone with e-ink with a decent light on it to see the screen in the dark. Still i really like the cellphoneā€™s design.

If i saw someone with a dumbphone though iā€™d assume they were being either thrifty, were broke, or theyā€™ve got some sketchy side business :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

$295.00? WTF is thatā€¦

4 Likes

Probably in artisanal breakfast cereals in Shoreditch/Brooklyn.

6 Likes

Apparently, you can sell a phone for $12 if you design it in China, but it costs $300 if you do that work in the USA.
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=3107

5 Likes

seriously.
Europeans and Asians can get a $25, unlocked, GSM phone.
You want a similar phone in the US?
$100 minimum, and itā€™s hobbled in comparison.

$295 for a dumb phone?
punkt is on crack.

4 Likes

Not many years ago I recall buying a simple Samsung 2.5G phone with 3 weeks of battery life w/o plan, ā‚¬19 (cash), prepaid data SIM card from a kiosk nearby (ā‚¬39).
Ok, the design is nicer with this one tho.

[quote=ā€œambiguator, post:8, topic:67027, full:trueā€]seriously.
Europeans and Asians can get a $25, unlocked, GSM phone.
You want a similar phone in the US?
$100 minimum, and itā€™s hobbled in comparison.[/quote]

I think you need to look around more. You can get an unlocked GSM phone in the US for 15 to 30 dollars from Target.

Now, they may not compare feature-wise to the Asian and European phones you refer toā€”hard to say without detailsā€”but a cheap unlocked cellphone can be easily found for much less than $100.

By ā€œCamera Paintā€ do they mean black paint that will quickly scratch off and reveal the metal underneath?

1 Like

Didnā€™t you ever find a Moto F3? I got mine for $16 unlocked.

2 Likes

ā€œsimilarā€ - in features, functionality, battery life, etc. - being the operative word here

Itā€™s quite possible that you are correct, and that they are addressing a very specific segment of the market. If thatā€™s the case, then I salute them for charging $200 for what is effectively a travel alarm clock.

(Side note that amuses me to no end: the description mentions ā€œno radiation emissionsā€ but it appears to have luminescent hands. Light, of course, is a form of electromagnetic radiation.)

1 Like

#swag

5 Likes

Had one of these. No longer available though :cry: .

2 Likes

I expect that is totally the idea.

1 Like

I owned a Moto F3 for years and all my hankering now is about wanting something similar that a) will work on a 3G network (2G is getting spotty where I live) and b) had a slightly better display that could actually show a whole phone number.

2 Likes

Name or number larger than six digits? Letā€™s get scrolling. Punctuation? Hmm, some. You can tell a period from a comma from context, you see? Uppercase AND lowercase letters? Donā€™t be ridiculous. We could only afford some of each, whimsically mixed together for your amusement.

Texting was a bit hilarious. But oh, that battery life.

Itā€™s nice and minimal; but youā€™d better have a real commitment to hypermodern furnishing accented with greyscale ā€˜post-representationalā€™ prints(originals, obviously); to pay a factor of ten more than what a Nokia 106 or the like would run you(unlocked, if you were planning to sell your soul to a given carrier, it would be less.)

Thereā€™s a long tradition of ā€˜artisinalā€™ or otherwise trendy appropriation of poor people stuff, like PBR, trucker hats, and gentrifiable neighborhoods; but this one seems substantially undermined by the fact that there are still plenty of professionals who know a great deal about making cellphones churning out minimalist cellphones for the ā€˜actually poor peopleā€™ market at much more realistic prices. Not quite as much purity of essence; but feel the price.

2 Likes