Puppy dies on flight after United Airlines forces owner to stuff it in overhead bin

I don’t think we need any more proof for the hypothesis that United hates their customers.

If they could reduce us to dodecahedrons for the duration of the trip, they would. And then we’d keep hearing stories about flight attendants “accidentally” crushing a passengers’ dodecahedron. “So very sorry, it is with deepest regret that we inform you that your pet/child/spouse/significant other did not survive the voyage.”

8 Likes

I should say, I don’t actually want to go eye-for-an-eye. But a lot of failures to understand suffering come from a dearth of empathy. If they’d thought about themself or someone they loved in that situation, they’d probably not have done it. Unless they’re a stone-cold sociopath, which frankly I doubt given their decision to enter a service industry.

3 Likes

What is with these depressingly lousy posts in BB lately?

First, Chinese sexism, and now dead puppies.

Geez!

Meh. Most of the “Boycott United Airlines” symbols are constructed with those two words and the not symbol. I am in favor of a boycott.

Lots of things wrong with this story. First demonizing Flight Attendants.
It was a bag blocking the aisle …which is a big safety no. So the demon FA’s tell you to put in the overhead. That’s their job…

The CBS reporting said the FA didn’t know the bag contained a dog.

Also, what other options where available for the bag (with dog) to be placed?

And why aren’t we seeing tons of black mirror type cell phone shaming etc if this went down as they said?

“At the end of the flight, the woman found her dog, deceased. She sat in the airplane aisle on the floor crying, and all of surrounding passengers were utterly stunned,”

Yeah…if that happened…You’d have tons of cell phone video from passengers posting on facebook etc. As it happened in real time.
Because that’s prime iPhone OMG OMG…LOOK AT THIS…Video stuff.

Which is another thing about the story that doesn’t fly with me. If there was a dog in there…and the owner was saying “Hey…my dog is in there” and the FA was saying “Sorry…doggie gotta go in over head”

Do you not think that dozens of people would whip out their portable pocket computer video cameras and post it on the internet in real time…and we wouldn’t have a record of it?

I just don’t see it going down the way it’s being reported. If the owner was concerned and had ‘words’ with the flight attendent…and there was some crying over the corpse of the dog with ‘stunned passengers’
I really doubt the passengers would be stunned enough not to whip out a iphone and OMG live stream it.

Well, I’m just saying if it went down like OMG PUPPY KILLING AIRLINE FLIGHT ATTENDANT.

That dog doesn’t bark.

Or not…

The dog was in a small pet carrier designed to fit under an airline seat.

United claims it happened…

United said Tuesday that it took full responsibility for the incident on the Monday night flight from Houston to New York.

Is that you Donald? Are you driving trollies us with your Fake News bullshit?

20 Likes

BBC says the FA was repeatedly made aware of this in advance, but claimed not to know afterwards.

7 Likes

I’m sorry…The BBC says…etc…
I’d rather trust the social media.

IF someone was complaining about a dog being put in the overhead…and it went down with people crying over the dead dog. And ANY type of confontration with the FA about anything.

People would be whipping out their iPhones faster than bic lighters at heavy metal concert.

We don’t see that.

There are some failures here…UA should have had some better guidelines about carry on pets and TSA approved baggage for pets should be labled if it’s TSA approved for under the seat…or Baggaged hold area.

And if it was a TSA approved bag…why didn’t the owner put it under the seat.

Lots of blame here to get around…but Flight Attendants are not evil. And they don’t like to kill puppies. But they have to follow rules about keeping the aisle clear and stowing baggage.

And still if there any type of ‘drama’ with this on the plane. You bet you’d be seeing ton of iphone vids. Including the FA being made ‘aware’ of it…and ignoring it.

1 Like

Yup. Rules.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/animals/in_cabin.aspx

The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times.

Do you seriously not understand?

7 Likes

Maybe the dog was too big?

edit: And reading other articles it does look like this type of dog has trouble breathing at sea level, let alone 8000 feet. So maybe it would have died anyway.

1 Like

If I had to choose, I’d rather get hit with a soft squishy baby than the corner of a 1990’s ThinkPad.

5 Likes

I used to be certain about that, because babies are more squishy, but now laptops have become significantly lighter, but also thinner almost to the point of constituting a sharp edge…

Why are you looking at me like that, i’m simply talking about linear dynamic models. Yes I am single, what does that have to do with anything.

3 Likes

Right, that dog and also the 18 animals that died on United flights last year in a stark contrast to the rates on all other airlines. Them too.

3 Likes

Without an in-depth analysis its hard to say. Can you quote animal death rates per hour flown per airline?

It is not hard to say that United surely carries significantly less than three times the traffic of all their competitors combined.

3 Likes

… and, indeed, because I inexplicably spent time looking up the fact, it turns out the be in third place among US airlines in annual flight distance.

1 Like

On the plus side, the more prone we are to doing cost-benefit analysis on baby-having, the more remote that risk becomes. :neutral_face:

UA does not recognize your claim that their flight attendants crushed your spouse in dodecahedral form. The company solely relies on cubeoctahedrons.

4 Likes

You’re driving trollies us, right? Just say so.

United admits they killed a puppy. This isn’t something you can wish away by reading cynical conspiracy theory Twitter accounts. They killed a puppy. End of story.

16 Likes

Simple solution for this in future, works on any airline, no matter how poorly trained or hostile the crew:

The only dogs allowed in the cabin are certified service dogs, full grown and properly trained, when accompanying the person they are trained to help. Period.

No puppy need ever die again. And I predict that millions of travelers will go out of their way to patronize any airline that adopts this rule.

2 Likes