Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Hmmm, I’m not seeing a list icon.
I’m on an iPad, Safari.

3 Likes

I like the persistent menu bar on my phone.

2 Likes

What happened to the numbers next to the categories showing your unread posts? I found that more useful than a generic blob.

categories

6 Likes

If you click on a category from there, it shows the list of topics and there you’ll see the numbers of unread posts in each topic.
Does that help?

4 Likes

I was actually aware of that but being able to see the numbers of unread posts in the little sidebar thingy was a useful feature, i thought. Without having to enter the individual categories i mean.

4 Likes

Grey Ghost user?

unknown and deleted

4 Likes

Probably someone who has since been banned from the site. But that’s just my supposition, I’m not actually in-the-know about these things.

5 Likes

(post deleted by user)

:wink:

2 Likes

Are you saying that is Adam West’s old account?

5 Likes

Would it be possible to have the “Flag” icon in red? I can’t tell you how many times I have meant to flag a post, but accidentally pressed the “Bookmark” icon.

5 Likes

More generally, it’s weird that the “flag” icon is just stuck there in the middle of all the easily-undoable and not-a-big-deal-if-clicked-unintentionally options. Having the flag separated by a bit of a margin from the other icons would probably be a good move in UX terms. (This might require some rethinking of the overall layout of controls, though.)

4 Likes

I hear what you’re saying but I think a red icon sticking out among the others would be really distracting to me. Maybe a redesign of either or both icons could be just as effective (the bookmark does look like a flag in a way).
Possibly something a little more angular, like,

(but monochrome) would distinguish it better. That or a biohazard symbol!

5 Likes

I’ve hit the flag button on occasion accidentally but I don’t think it just flags with one tap, don’t you have to confirm the submission?

I’d test it but I don’t want to flag a post if I’m wrong.

7 Likes

Yeah, it asks you what kind of flag you want. The Bookmark brings up a dialog box as well.

It’s usually a small annoyance, but on a smartphone with flubby fingers, it can be a bit disorienting.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed sometimes while scrolling that the flag icons can appear pre-colored black. What’s that about?

Figure for reference:

s-l400

6 Likes

If I hover my mouse pointer as if about to click the icon of the link, flag, or bookmark options, the icon turns black with a light grey square behind it. Same when I’m scrolling and my mouse pointer just happens to pass over or close to one of the icons (or you might say that the icon just happens to pass under the static pointer as the page scrolls)— maybe that’s all it is? i.e., maybe if you’re focused on scrolling and content, you don’t happen to notice that your pointer is on-or-near the icon? (Not sure what would happen on a phone, though, if that’s what you’re using. I’m using a laptop.)

2 Likes

I’m only using a phone.

4 Likes

Special powers for being a Regular?
As a lowly prole :wink: I only see the reply icon darkened. Maybe your flags carry more weight.

3 Likes

If so the icon is the same gray. It is possible on the phone that you might have brushed the button and made it highlight. I don’t know that I have done that on boingboing, but I have seen that happen to interface elements on other sites occasionally (I am a nervous scroller and will sometimes keep my digit on the screen micro scrolling up and down while I read, which seems to do it)

ETA: Also, did you know that the reply icon is exactly the same gray as the other icons, but the distance from the other elements and white space trick your brain into thinking it’s darker! *

*It’s not. I made that up, but it seemed a very boingboing thing to claim

4 Likes

You’re not a Regular?

5 Likes