Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Wow! This conversation has made me realize that it is very easy to accidentally bookmark on mobile. I have never intentionally bookmarked a BBS post, but I have pages of bookmarks saved going back to 2013 it turns out

7 Likes

I once discovered man many drafts of posts I wasn’t aware I’d saved as drafts. It was weird to go back and think “oh, right, that’s why I never posted that stupid comment.”

9 Likes

That’s the universe looking out for you!

6 Likes

I’ve noticed that sometimes the pencil of shame appears over posts where I include an image or a gif, even when I haven’t edited. I put it down to a quirk of Discourse.

No one is judging you.

5 Likes

Speaking of which…isn’t it really “the pencil of perfection”? Showing that you care enough to correct errors, which we all make

9 Likes

errors?

5 Likes

I guess that’s my joke

… yes, it’s a joke, nobody should be ashamed of the Pencil except me :pencil2: :cry:

6 Likes

FTFY!

6 Likes

Thanks! I don’t mind the pencil when I’ve actually edited something, but the way it keeps showing up (probably mainly on the gif posts) made it feel like I look like some sort of unhinged perfectionist.

6 Likes

… depending how we link to an image and what format it’s in, the system account may do an edit to, like, move it to a different server or something

8 Likes

Most of my posts here have a pencil. Former copy editors embrace the shame!

5 Likes

That’s the hover state for that element, so from the device’s perspective you are “hovering your mouse over” or “have currently selected via pressing tab” that element.

Animation

so on desktop to recreate, press tab a ton (useful for people who cannot use a mouse due to disability, or preference) or hover your mouse cursor🖱️over the element. Some smartphones have dabbled in “hover finger” detection though they generally gave it up. However, I read recently a few are trying again so YMMV.

Also note if you don’t want/like the sidebar, collapse it by clicking on the left side hamburger like so

6 Likes

It’s happened to me where I’ve inadvertently added an image that’s too large, data-wise. Sometimes the mods fix it or it somehow gets fixed and the orange pencil shows up.
I’ve never considered the orange pencil shameful, but maybe I’m using it wrong :wink:

7 Likes

Me neither, and I don’t always leave notes when just correcting minor spelling errors and such that don’t affect the meaning of the post. But I prefer to sneak my edits in in the first ten minutes, before the pencil bears witness to my sloppy posting.

8 Likes

There’s nothing shameful about the orange pencil. Everyone makes the odd mistake that they would like to clean up…or sometimes you have an addendum and don’t want to add an extra post to the thread. Both are good things.

Except on my posts, where it’s a humiliating proof of extreme incompetence.

16 Likes

Same here. I stopped including notes if it’s just to fix a minor typo most of the time. And also about trying to sneak in under the 10 minute mark. Sometimes I miss it by mere seconds!

Frustrated Đéo Ti GIF by Girl Starter

9 Likes

Something, something, happy little accidents.

8 Likes

If I make a substantive edit after someone responds to a comment I make it clear with an “ETA” (“Edited to Add”) notice.

8 Likes

Is anyone else noticing anything hinky with the likes? I’ve been noticing when I go back to see new posts that previous posts I liked (or thought I did) don’t show up as such.
I have so much love to give. Why are you thwarting me, Discourse?

11 Likes

I’ll be on the lookout for it, but I haven’t seen that.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by Manifest

7 Likes