Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Thanks, I didn’t notice the requirements earlier. Still feels like I’ve done all that stuff.

3 Likes

… in my experience, the easiest ways to lose TL3 are not logging in every day, not reading enough, or not hitting “Like” enough times :thinking:

8 Likes

Also, just to make it even more confusing, be aware that there are two types of “Regular” badges you might see—

One [“Regular”] is the Discourse Trust Level (TL3) that must be kept current by keeping up with the requirements for that level.

The other [“BBS Regular”] is a legacy badge/title given to users who were Regulars at the time the old private Lounge area of the bbs was discontinued, as a sort of token or memento you might say. Those users may or may not be current TL3, and may or may not have been active on the site lately.

12 Likes

I saw that. I was wondering. That probably explains those old legacy types.

5 Likes

Longtime non-regular here, and curious about the “so what” of this. This isn’t a criticism, and I’ve been curious about my status in the past. But aside from the extra candy bar Mountains of CD offers they mail you every month, what benefits are you looking for?

I realized a while back that my reading and posting habits (mainly the way I read the main posts) keep me firmly in the “member” category. I could certainly jiggle my reading metrics to get to “regular,” but I’m not sure why one would intentionally do that.

Aside from all that, most of the Members (and above) that I notice contribute more substantively than I do. So the system seems to work?

ETA: There are no candy bars. Nope. That was a typo.

10 Likes

(You weren’t supposed to mention the monthly candy bars)

17 Likes

I don’t know, maybe just the recognition? The acknowledgement that my participation has some value?

Maybe it’s just a worthless token, but getting a badge makes me feel good.

ETA:

(We Must Imagine Sisyphus Happy - Existential Comics)

13 Likes

Yeah, about that…

6 Likes

It’s “free ice cream”, and, you know, everyone gets that!

7 Likes

I get that. It’s understandable.

4 Likes

I see that members of the community interact with you through replies and Likes, and vice-versa. You’re respectful of the rules, haven’t gotten a timeout as a result, and you seem to enjoy yourself here. That’s how you and anyone else here adds value, regardless of badges.

I know, easy enough to say for a Leader who gets to go to the weekly ice cream sundae bar hosted by the moderator and publisher, but I mean it.

13 Likes

10 Likes

Going to the bathroom at regular intervals is important for your digestive health. A balanced diet with plenty of fiber is the best way to stay regular.

3 Likes

I had regular for a while then lost it and ended up asking about it once. At the time it was pointed out that I hadn’t been logging as much. I felt a little childish but was glad I asked.

11 Likes

The commute to Florida is a biatch, but worth it.

6 Likes

Sure, but it’s at Disneywo…ok, now I really have said too much.

7 Likes

Tv 2 Wow GIF by tv2norge

4 Likes

Hey!

Aging Central Park GIF by Apple TV+

14 Likes

Believe me, a lot of us understand this feeling quite well.

Maybe they need an Appreciated level, for those who don’t check all the boxes for Regular but who are long standing, respected contributors to the discussions.

16 Likes

We haven’t tweaked the TL3 requirements, but they do scale with the size of the site, and the BBS is very large.

Since you are discussing this in pubic, I think it’s fair to share why you don’t have that status: you are reading about half as many posts as those who maintain that status currently. As I said, this is a BIG place.

We also permanently grant status to certain friends of Boing Boing or other contributors from time to time (and of course, Leaders.) Such are the whims of the Entity.

18 Likes