Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

I’ve been wondering for a while, was there any noticeable change in the number of posts on the bbs, with the pandemic? (I’m thinking that traffic would probably have increased, what with people being home more during lockdowns and such—and my own sense is that there’s a lot more posts now, and it’s harder to keep up now—but then again might it just be natural growth of the site, not necessarily pandemic-related?)

And another question— Could you clarify something that came up in a private conversation: For TL3, is there any requirement to read the authors’ posts on the BB site, or is it only about reading Replies here on the bbs/Discourse site?

10 Likes

Oh, come on…
snorts

2 Likes

To answer

Posts I don’t think so, but readers, definitely. According the the BBS’s own stats, anywhere from 50-100 thousand readers now read the BBS daily between registered and unregistered users (and ignoring webcrawlers, etc). It is a humbling number (and also a sign that @Mindysan33 teaches a lot more people than she realizes since like half the posts on here are hers!)

Nope. If we ever get subscriptions on BB proper I’d love to get a badge here on the BBS for subscribers, but that’s the extent of the crossover.

16 Likes

50-100 thousand readers now read the BBS daily

tenor

18 Likes

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

I should get a life, shouldn’t I! :laughing:

21 Likes

Wow. That number is definitely gonna give me pause the next time I’m about to get into a petty argument with someone…

14 Likes

Yeah really. How many people see my crappy puns daily? Shudder!

17 Likes

Wow!

And it’s…not necessarily what a shy person wants to hear, lol; I may never post again :laughing:

I mean…congratulations for such a successful site! :smiley:

Thanks for replying to my questions. I appreciate your time and care :smiley:

16 Likes

I find your puns very punny. :wink:

9 Likes

That’s just punderful!

11 Likes

You seem to be doing ok! Anyway…

8 Likes

Naw.

12 Likes

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing this piece of information.

If a relevant fraction of those read and understood what I tried to contribute to the Coronavirus topic, I maybe should at least try to feel a little less like the above-mentioned stonier-than-thou rolly-polly guy.

In short, YMMD.

9 Likes

It’s like finding out we’re not alone in the universe! Kind of dangerous information in a way. The bird site, IG, etc.- you know how exactly how big your audience is (potentially). Most people do behave differently when they know they’re being watched. For better or for worse!

9 Likes

Can anyone explain why this same highlighted phrase has started to show up at the beginning of Oneboxed links, (usually Wikipedia I think)?

11 Likes

Because…

13 Likes

Anyone know if oneboxing relies on Schema / Open Graph data, or if it has custom handlers for the big sites? In other words, is this Wikipedia’s fault or Discourse’s? (@codinghorror?)

5 Likes

Yes, it does!

This is also true, though we try to gently nudge sites to follow the existing standards :point_up_2:

What specific URL has the issue? Wikipedia allows some frankly kind of annoying URLs at times…

7 Likes

… see where it says “Pages for logged out editors learn more” right at the beginning

That seems like a mistake

10 Likes