Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

How do you measure a year in the life?

… I’ll see myself out.

5 Likes

Won’t that be broken come 2100? (2000 was a leap year. 2100 won’t be)

3 Likes

That works except for areas when there are leap years/leap seconds, (Leap seconds will be eliminated by 2035 by UTC) , and where UTC’s standard hasn’t changed (which happens) , or when the standard for a second hasn’t changed (which has happened three or four times in my lifetime)

4 Likes

Just add the word “about” before any display of date or time. Should do the trick.

6 Likes

Do you suppose people will still be using message boards by then?

And what rank would the BB BBS give to people with 100+ year anniversary? “Super Duper Commander Captain?”

5 Likes

365 + ¼ – 1100 + 1400 = 365.2425

365.2425 × 24 × 60 × 60 = 31,556,952

7 Likes

Centi-reader?

3 Likes

We already maxxed out on those badges :slight_smile:

4 Likes

… after 1000 years you get the “Millennial” badge

3 Likes

This is odd. I havent seen an image overlap text before.

5 Likes

… just a regular gif from the GIF button

3 Likes

Andy Allen Jock Zonfrillo GIF by MasterChefAU

4 Likes

I was referring to this:

4 Likes

There’s some sort of bug with the page position where it doesn’t match the positioning bar @codinghorror

I was at the bottom in that screen shot, not 267.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this, too. I tend to see it when I switch from one thread to a different thread when the thread I’m leaving has a large number of posts. Sometimes it affects both numbers, but more often just the first one. It’s also sporadic - I’ll see it several times one day, and then won’t see it again for a few days. Scrolling in the new thread usually fixes it quickly.

2 Likes

For the past couple of days or so, every single BB post has a huge chunk of white space after the first para, as illustrated.

Is this a bug, or is it a new “this space reserved for advertising that your ad blocker cannot navigate around so just get used to scrolling more to actually read articles” feature?

ETA And every single post today has a comments link that goes back to the post, not to the BBS. The long-standing intermittent bug seems very perma-mittent today!

6 Likes

It’s the latter.

Turn off your ad blocker and it gets filled in by a loud picture , or sometimes a loud video.

3 Likes

Thanks, this is the first time I recall the ad blocker preserving the white space like that (or the site forcing it to do so). Usually the post collapses to be a ‘proper’ bit of uninterrupted text.

Not gonna turn off the ad blocker, though! :wink:

4 Likes

If you’re handy with the browser inspector it should be pretty straightforward to add a new rule to remove the offending div or whatever it is that’s taking up space.

3 Likes

Stop talking G(r)eek at me! :wink:

3 Likes