Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

We’ve bumped our cachebuster on the CSS. I’d guess the font issue is cleared up now for everyone. If not, please try another cache clear on your browser. Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m not sure; the font is still showing as “Libre Baskerville”

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, I’m dropping into the middle of this. Now I grok what you’re pointing at. We’ll see what we can do.

3 Likes

Posts from The Register won’t onebox properly since yesterday:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/25/online_harms_dont_need_dangerous/

2 Likes

Fixed for me! Thanks to all the wizards involved.

3 Likes

Embedding TikTok videos, how does that work?

What am I missing?

4 Likes

TIL one can’t edit a post when a thread is in Slow Mode. Wanted to correct a typo (stupid homophones) but couldn’t. I don’t suppose there is any way to allow minimal edits during slow mode?

3 Likes

After the regrettable Nazi musician front page article; should all authors be providing a way to contact them to inform them when something like this inadvertently occurs?

15 Likes

That would be nice. Especially if they did absolutely no research into the artist first.
Or worse, ignored it and posted it anyway.
How are we to know which it is from here?

12 Likes

There was a Nazi musician post?

5 Likes

Inhabitants of the hidden threads, what’s up with Mark locking threads?

(I need a Bat signal for these types of questions)

8 Likes

Nothing conclusive yet.

6 Likes

I was wondering if it was something I said on one, at least.

8 Likes

Sorry, nothing posted by anyone about this in the Leader’s topic. I’m sure if they choose to discuss what’s going on everyone will be told.

12 Likes

The blog authors are free to close any threads they want.

That said, it does seem weird that we’re going to have this big expensive community bulletin board system to discuss boing boing topics but not be told why we can’t discuss boing boing topics.

Oh well.

5 Likes

Virtually all of the suddenly locked posts seem to be from POPKIN or Mark himself.

I think that perhaps this is being done out of an abundance of caution after yesterday’s misunderstanding (the Nazi musician debacle). For those who did not see the Nazi musician thing, I am not going to elaborate on that, but it seemed like an innocent mistake (lack of checking) and was resolved pretty quickly, but was also the kind of thing where they would want to avoid a repeat.

3 Likes

I wish they’d come out what went sideways in that though, I have no idea what this “Nazi Musician” thing is, but it is probably far worse remaining silent about it than addressing it. I don’t think anyone here on the blog side of things are acting in bad faith, so I’d rather it just come to light than be “yet another one of those events in BB history we don’t talk about EVER AGAIN like that one blogger who was exited.”

4 Likes

I am sure that they will do all of that; when I said that I will not elaborate, I just mean that it is not my place to do so. It was most likely an innocent mistake, but an embarrassing one as well.

I do think that we can rest assured that this is being done out of an abundance of caution until they find out what went sideways and does not represent a policy change that would see a lot of posts locked down forever.

6 Likes

Without publicising the musician or his project, I can summarise. One of BB’s newer Authors made a FPP about an instrumental version of a musician’s work that they enjoyed. Unfortunately, as several commenters quickly pointed out in the FPP’s BBS topic, said musician employs a lot of Nazi imagery in his work (including in the name of his musical project) and associates with other far-right “hate rock” artists. According to the SPLC, that imagery is very much not presented in a critical or even ironic way.

Upon being alerted to this matter, one of the other Authors quickly closed the topic before deleting it and the FPP. Before that happened an explanation was also posted that the original BB Author had been unaware of the musician’s sordid ideological leanings. There seems to have been no malice involved.

The confusion now lies in the early closing of other BBS topics by both Authors that have nothing to do with Nazis, etc. I’m sure the moderator or one of the Authors will clear things up in the next day or so.

20 Likes

I was hoping it was something like this and not specific harassment directed at Mark or Popkin. I was especially suspect of harassment when I consistently saw threads that were live for a short time and then locked, indicating a reaction to some kind of thread-specific activity.

Anyway, I think it’s wonderful how respectful BBS is of Popkin. I’m not even totally sure who, exactly Popkin is, but I have my suspicions and if I’m correct, think it’s wonderful how they are given the platform with a reasonable amount of deference and protection. They post really wonderful things!

4 Likes