Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

… one thing I recently noticed is these “Emoji Likes” don’t count toward keeping “Regular” status

I didn’t grant any hearts for a while and so I turned back into a “Member” until I threw some hearts and got the Regular badge back just now :name_badge:

9 Likes

I wonder if that’s changed, at least on going. They seem to count towards “nice reply” now, and they didn’t before.

5 Likes

I don’t think they do. Nice, good and great replies are still awarded on heart reactions only, so if you get nine hearts and one thumbs up, no badge for you.

6 Likes

john huston bandit GIF by Warner Archive

17 Likes

That’s got a “Nice Reply” with 7 heart, 3 thumbs up, 2 laugh

8 Likes

That is odd. I’m not seeing that at all. Unless it’s really recent and isn’t retroactive.

6 Likes

I got a “Nice Reply” yesterday, and the post currently has 8 hearts and 3 thinking.

10 Likes

It just started over the past day or so, afaict. Not retroactive.

9 Likes

Sooooo… noticed new emojis in the likes/emojis thingie… two things… only dudes can shrug or facepalm? :thinking: And also…

Just curious on that… sometimes, you need a puke emoji…

14 Likes

Only blond, white dudes at that.

11 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t4:
If it won’t let us change gender and skin tone, what’s the point?
:woman_shrugging:t4:

12 Likes

shrug and facepalm… never felt slightly inclined towards those, except as content of one’s own post (not as a reaction). What about rolleyes, what about PUKE? there are also a lot of situations where thumbsup doesn’t quite do it, need like more of a fingerpoint :point_up: (à la “this right here”)

8 Likes

… of all the possible “celebration” emoji

:dancer: :tada: :piñata: :mirror_ball: etc.

the jellyfish :confetti_ball: are the least intuitive

I’d suggest :partying_face: instead, to match the other faces

13 Likes

… here’s another thing, there are so many flagging options that the Something Else box has disappeared under the keyboard

It’s basically unusable now, we’re expected to edit the text without being able to see it

4 Likes

I used the non-gendered unicode code for those emojis. They are not the “man shrugging” emoji (:man_shrugging:) but the “person shrugging” emoji (:person_shrugging:) (and :person_facepalming:)

9 Likes

They’re blond, though.

6 Likes

They have hair!

OMG!

4 Likes

… there’s a reason they started with yellow circles

Making them more “human” may not be helpful :thinking:

8 Likes

I guess criticism should be directed at Apple because that’s where Discourse appears to be taking emoji designs from. Unicode simply defines the two emoji as “Shrug” and “Face Palm”, and this is what Apple decided a generic person (without any specified gender or skin tone) looks like. There are a few dozen alternative designs (and for facepalm):

Mostly they use yellow skin as the default inherited from old smileys, and they attempt to portray a plausibly gender-neutral haircut with various degrees of success. Hair color differs widely, though. I guess an argument might be made that if yellow skin is accepted as neutral, then so could yellow hair, but that’s definitely a stretch. Only the minimalist version of Google’s Noto font goes for truly abstract appearance:

8 Likes