Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Good question!

4 Likes

Broader question; is this size limitation still relevant? Is there an argument to be made to ask for Discourse / BBS to drop it or bump it up? I imagine that folks on mobile care, but also there’s the “don’t autoplay gifs” option.

3 Likes

Is this an option?! Would love to cut those out!

ETA: @smulder thanks for the free ice cream!

5 Likes

Weirdly, I can’t find where this option lives now. I would have assumed under Profile → Preferences → Interface, but I don’t see it there.

2 Likes

What would it take to bring back the Jackhammer Jill logo? Was that the trademark of an editor that is no longer with the organization?

4 Likes

Seems Brian could autosize for us. Make Ai work for it’s bytes.

3 Likes

I love that logo! I’ll ask.

13 Likes

i loved her, too! even bought the Coop glow-in-the-dark tee shirt of Jackhammer Jill way back when!

12 Likes
11 Likes

Excellent idea!

8 Likes

I’m not objecting to your desire to cut them out (just for yourself, I gather), but I’m wondering why. Would you mind saying why you’d love to cut those out?

1 Like
  1. Metered data plan. I use this site on mobile.
  2. The movement is distracting. This would be different if the animation was essential to the idea being conveyed.
    ETA: Even when I log into a new (windows) workstation at my facility, the first thing I do is turn off all the animations!

Ideally, a single frame would load and I could tap to load the rest and reveal how the clip plays out.

6 Likes

This is exactly how it works on fark. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were libraries that enabled that sort of functionality for various server languages.

5 Likes

Like I mentioned above – this exact feature exists (was introduced somewhere around first half of 2022, based on comments in this very thread) and I currently have it enabled on my BBS account. But I don’t see a control for it anymore in any of my account preferences.

Any Discourse staff have any idea where that option lives, or where it went if it is indeed gone?

3 Likes

Same here. When I saw your note on that above I spent a bunch of time looking around and couldn’t find anything.

3 Likes

Weird: I was reading the post after mine and realized my post showed the edit pencil. Problem is, I didn’t edit that post. It was a gif; nothing was changed.

Anyone else seeing that too?

(It was in the neurodiversity thread, if it matters.)

6 Likes

That’s happened for a long time. I think it’s just the image getting cached and links rewritten to use the cache.

8 Likes

gifs from the gif gallery function get moved around after we “post” them

they all have edit pencils

example

5 Likes

Ah! I hadn’t realized. Thanks, guys!

6 Likes

Two Onebox failures I’ve noticed recently, including a high-profile one:

Ask a Manager
example:

EDIT, this one’s working now. Weird.

CNN
example:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/16/politics/takeaways-donald-trump-fraud-ruling/index.html

(paging @sam @codinghorror etc)

8 Likes