Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Same here; though I am using Brave.

I blame the “AI.”

2 Likes

I seem to remember something from several years ago…someone said that if you’re reading the post and someone else clicks “show post” it will collapse? It has occasionally happened to me since 2014.

1 Like

… I have just now noticed that the “Open all external links in a new tab” setting in “Preferences → Interface” doesn’t always work :thinking:

1 Like

I have started getting posts from years and years ago in the “related topics” list at the end of a set of replies. Any idea why 2020 wants to come calling?

1 Like

Are you wearing an outdated shirt or something? That’s usually why old years call, to get their clothing back.

6 Likes

For some reason I can’t give out likes. I know it used to be possible to run out of them, but I am absolutely not that online, so I don’t think that’s it. Is something b0rked?

3 Likes

Now it works again. So it’s either PEBKAC, or I’m a wizard. Could be either, I guess.

5 Likes

This happens to me sometimes, too, and a page refresh fixes it.

3 Likes

I logged in on my laptop, and everything suddenly started working on my phone. Whether the 2 events are connected tho… :thinking:

1 Like

Is there some reason that links to other BBS posts won’t one-box properly?

Example:

Why does the photo in that post show up as a link and not a photo? And, clicking that link leads to an “image cannot be loaded” error – although opening the link in a new tab does work. I’m windows, Chrome.

3 Likes

I’ve had the same issue recently posting NYT links.

2 Likes

And also Reuters.

They can implement Brian but can’t fix an effing one box issue??

1 Like

Technical question: I’m trying to upload a vid to here from my drive.
Originally shot on an apple phone (I think).
It’s currently .mov
I’ve tried to convert it to m4v, but I still can’t seem to upload it to BBS.
Any ideas?

(the vid is worth it, I promise)

In my experience, no videos are uploadable. Either you convert it to a <4 MB gif, or upload it to a video hosting site that will stream it as an embed, or no luck.

4 Likes

Thanks, makes sense. I guess I’ll upload it somewhere.

2 Likes

It’s high time that the software allowed <4mb .mov or .mp4 files considering how much better the compression is compared to gif. I’d be interested to learn the rationale for not doing it.

2 Likes

… we can upload mp4 files after we first rename them with the extension m4v instead of mp4

9 Likes

Isn’t there a how-to thread somewhere? This needs to be added, stat!

5 Likes

Thanks for the info.
About the seventh video conversion website actually managed to save it as an m4v.

The result is here: Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 2) - #4219 by iknownuurthing

Your help much appreciated.

6 Likes

Is it possible to tweak the giphy search box such that it excludes ones that the BBS won’t display due to size?

3 Likes