Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Has the Oneboxing code (and/or the server doing it) changed? I’ve gotten boxes claiming 403 for both NYTimes and Politico. CNN worked, so it’s not global.

4 Likes

:thinking:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/09/world/europe/france-election-left-melenchon.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/09/ukraines-nato-membership-irreversible-00167011

2 Likes

Well, I dont know what happened but about two hours ago proper functionality was restored!

7 Likes

Discourse updated:
7 hours ago

:person_shrugging: - glad it’s fixed though!

8 Likes

Late to this, obviously, but a number of contributors send in stuff by email or whatever. So I post them to the CMS. Once in a while, I forget to change the byline to theirs, then forget to fix it in BBS.

15 Likes

Anyone else having a weird glitch whereby scrolling down causes the page to jump back up a few posts? Just started a couple of days ago.

Yes, I’ve tried logging out and logging back in.

Mac/Firefox/uBlockOrigin, Privacy Badger

15 Likes

This happens to me a ton with Chrome/Ublock/Privacy Badger/some other stuff on Windows. I strongly suspect that it has to do with unrolling replies, replied-tos, or quotes, and then having that content unload off the top or the bottom of the screen as you scroll, but I haven’t systematically tested or anything.

8 Likes

it’s happening to me on my mac ( firefox ) when scrolling with the touchpad or when scrolling with the bbs’ custom scrollbar.

if i use the browser scrollbar, it works fine. ( but that’s definitely annoying because apple hides the scrollbars unless you’re scrolling :confused: )

6 Likes

Are you sure? Maybe we have different things…

I have MacBook Air M1, 2020 and here’s my System Settings:

6 Likes

nice! i’ll see if mine has that. ( still would be nice to scroll with the track pad, but that will help. i haven’t checked the discourse bug reports to see if they know about it. i suspect they do. )

6 Likes

Can I ask what is going on with the header and why the new topics button keeps disappearing and reappearing?

vs

These screenshots were taken seconds apart.

@sam?

@codinghorror? (Do you even have anything to do with this site anymore?)

7 Likes

Gripe:

I wish I didn’t have to open a post in order to mute it.

14 Likes

disgust

8 Likes

Yep. Been asking for that for a while now.

11 Likes

Has anybody else been having problems with the “Show Full Post…” button?

It’s just been giving me a constant “Loading…” rather than expanding. Firefox 128.0.3 (and 128.0.2)

33 Likes

Hadn’t noticed until you asked, but I’m seeing the same (also FF 128)

13 Likes

What happens for me occasionally – which has already been reported in this thread, I think – is that sometimes after clicking “Show full post”, the post disappears after a few moments, leaving just a “…”, followed by the BBS comments.

EDIT: the “Loading…” thing just happened to me a moment ago. Yii.

10 Likes

16 Likes

Yep, the “Show Full Post” button fails for me. …curiously always clicked on the “Originally published at:” highlight so never noticed previously.
(also firefox 128.0.3)

15 Likes

I often do that, but I like the “Show Full Post” button because it allows you to highlight and quote a piece of the article directly into your reply in the comment thread.

19 Likes