Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

What’s the thing at the bottom Sam? Why is the thing at the bottom!!!

Text Street GIF

And not yet for me…

11 Likes

Came here to complain about “show full post” being broken. Glad it’s not just me.

15 Likes

Ugh. Something else is broken. The “switch header to topic title on scroll” setting is no longer being respected. I have it unchecked but it still switches on scroll which I definitely don’t want.

@sam

12 Likes

didn’t you know, it’s the number of views, likes, links, and users. :wink:

9 Likes

So the thing where clicking on “Comments” on an article from the main page was sending people to the general BBS and not to the thread on the specific article.

I was under the impression it was fixed, but it’s been happening infrequently to me?

I can’t be more specific since I alternate between the main page & the BBS directly, so I can’t provide, for example, a certain author, but not another one, etc.

Is this still a known issue?

4 Likes

Yes. Happened to me yesterday.

I have bookmarked the link to get to a comment and that one didn’t work either. (I tried making a hyperlink of that script but failed.)

But that was just on one post.

Also, I don’t go to the front page much. I start in the BBS and leave that window open so I just close the article when done reading.

3 Likes

I see the “Show Full Post” problem has been widely reported.
Just to add a data point, broken on Windows (FF128 and latest Edge) and Linux (FF128).

When clicking on the image I get the following, with a duplicate answering post.
Is this happening to me only?

13 Likes

It is not.

12 Likes

I’m getting that too. Most annoying of the recent crop of changes so far.

Windows 10, Firefox 128.0.3

8 Likes

It’s been bothering me too, and this morning when I used the hyperlink I had to re-start the site to get back to the bbs.

3 Likes

Not just you - I came here to report this, but you got here first. (Firefox 125.0.3 on Linux.)

4 Likes

I don’t see that setting at all.

6 Likes

What’s this checks notes maaaaainnn paaaaageee you speak of? :thinking: :laughing:

Seriously, though… so much borked. What’s happening here?

And WHY IS THE THING STILL AT THE BOTTOM… IT’S CREEPING ME OUT! @sam :sob:

11 Likes

It’s probably something to do with the puke emoji, which is something that also seems to be deficient around here?

Just a guess.

12 Likes

Indeed!

10 Likes

Nope; still happening.

8 Likes

yikes, I am trying to get this triaged, any chance you have some steps to reproduce this.

• what browser are you using?
  • what exact step do you take to make it happen (where do you visit first, second, etc…)
4 Likes

We’re all seeing it, with vastly different hardware and software configurations.

6 Likes

I’m on Chrome now, but it’s the same on Brave.

4 Likes

Yeah but how do I make the buttons vanish…?

• https://bbs.boingboing.net/ (latest new … etc still there.)
  • visit topic
  • go back (latest new … etc still there)
  • reload
  • (still there)

Aside, we figured out the “show full post…” thing and I raised with @orenwolf , it is to do with bot protection that was added to boingboing.net last week (outside of our control)

6 Likes