Queer icons 'Frog and Toad' headed to Apple TV+ this spring

Originally published at: Queer icons 'Frog and Toad' headed to Apple TV+ this spring | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Time to put this rumor to bed once and for all.

16 Likes

[Pushes glasses up nose]

Well actually they weren’t. I read those stories as a youth, and to my own kids, and I promise you the boys have their own homes (Cookies is one story that sticks in my mind. The Lost Button is another.)

They can be coupled and still have their own spaces. Maybe, after (gasps) 50 years they finally have earned the right to cohabitate without fear or shame from their woodland community.

/s as necessary, but truly: they have their own homes

17 Likes

I was just typing up something similar and you beat me to it. Cookies came to mind, and then the one where Toad doesn’t want to get out of bed, but keeps fretting about all the things that need to be done. They are such wonderful books, I miss reading them.

8 Likes

Toad making, losing, and freaking out about his to-do list is peak me. The stories held up so well, so it was/is a pleasure to share them with my little tadpoles.

11 Likes

I never quite had the model for what Ernie and Bert were until I read this account of one night that John Adams and Ben Franklin had to share a room and, indeed, a bed. Sort of like that, but forever.

Frog and Toad are, of course, a loving couple.

4 Likes

Also, The Letter, in which Frog finds Toad waiting futilely on his porch for the mail to arrive, despite never getting any mail. Frog runs home to write him a letter, that he then sends by snail to Toad’s house. They wait three days together on a Toad’s porch and Toad finally gets a letter delivered to his home.

14 Likes

Are they really gay if Fox News, Tucker Carlson, and the gang hasn’t outraged yet?

4 Likes

I love the constant theme of doing something nice for a loved one without a hint of thought of reciprocation! I’ve always loved Leaves, in which they both go to the other’s house to clean up the yard on a fall day. They never cross paths but return to find that the wind has scattered their respective leaf piles, and thus never suspect the work that the other did (and presumably never mention it to keep their surprises secret). Perfection.

tumblr_3c5f27365197d566537bdfbd9abff795_44d7101f_500

12 Likes

I did like the Frog and Toad books as a child, but some of the imagery was a bit scary for me.

As an adult, I can read it, but I leave the lights on.

12 Likes

I had two Frog and Toad books, if Memory serveth. Mom & I both adored them.

I was delighted to find this image on tumblr lo these many decades later:

15 Likes

Thanks, at least in part, to housing and heating costs(it was more common and more commonly accepted among the poor and rural; less so among moralists of greater means) “bundling” meant something rather different before it became an anticompetitive practice.

3 Likes

I feel that way about Large Marge…

GIF by The Bachelor

6 Likes

Those remind me of when some schoolmates and I did a Frog and Toad/Romeo and Juliet crossover: “Frog and Toad are Friends in Death”

3 Likes

My kids were a bit scared by “The Dream” - not the imagery, but the premise. But we all loved the end of that one.

3 Likes

I always thought of Ernie and Bert as the muppet version of “The Odd Couple”. Doesn’t mean they can’t be gay as well, but their antics remind me of Felix and Oscar.

6 Likes

I have no doubt that if Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon had lived long enough someone would have cast them in a comedy about a cantankerous old gay couple sooner or later.

6 Likes

I love Dabney Coleman and Matt Frewer’s take on Bert and Ernie in the film “Short Time”.

7 Likes

How is Gyrotoad these days, have you kept in touch? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

As long as we are recalling favorite stories, there is another one in Frog and Toad All Year I always found it hard to keep a straight face while reading to the kids. It’s the one where Toad buys ice cream cones and brings them back, melting in the heat, to Frog at the swimming hole.
“Here comes a thing with horns!” shouted a rabbit. “Run for your life!”

5 Likes