Quickly peel a hard-boiled egg by shaking it in a glass of water

NO TIME. Just throw the whole chicken in the pot and get the eggs out later.

13 Likes

And don’t get me started on cats.

Hold on, let me go on my crazy old dude rant. I think it’s funny that whenever a tip like this is posted there are always those people who say, “duh! I can’t believe everyone doesn’t already know this?!?!?!?!” Why the hell would I know alternative ways to peel a hard boiled egg?!? Listen, the world is a big place, with a lot of stuff in it, with a lot of different people who have a lot of different experiences. Why would you assume everyone would just know everything that you do? I peel my fair share of hard boiled eggs and I just tap them on the counter until the shell is all cracked up and then I just pick off the shell. Works just fine for me. Why/how would I need to know alternative ways to peel a hard boiled egg? Wait I take that back, I have heard of one other way. I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video of, I think it was a Russian gentleman who pinched off the ends of the shell and blew real hard to get the egg to pop out. And the only reason I know about that is because someone posted it on a website I frequent. Rant done.

All that being said, I’m gonna try this method tomorrow morning!

3 Likes

Step 1. Film yourself 1000 times rattling hard-boiled eggs in a glass.
Step 2. Post the one where the shell comes off easily.
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Paul Ryanomics works!

3 Likes

Ok, it’s not just me having trouble with the shi-shi eggs:

Can’t wait to try this, too.

If you’re buying eggs for hard boiled eggs you want to use older eggs.
You don’t have to go by the exp date.

There is another number hidden in the serial number of the carton.
The last three digits are the “Packed On Date” in Jillian Date.
So, a carton packed on New Years Eve would end in 365 and one of Jan 5th would be 005.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/EggsSell.htm

This is also especially good if you want to make poached eggs which need the freshest eggs you can get.

1 Like

I see what you did there.

Why stop at the shell?
Tech that can untangle hard boiled eggs

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware peeling an egg was difficult enough to be worth making a mess.

1 Like

Jillian date? You mean like an evening with the exercise babe?

Try entering Jillian Date in Google for more info from autocorrect.

The way to perfectly boiled eggs, without the green layer around the yolk:

1. Placed single layer of eggs in a saucepan.

2. Cover with 1 inch of water, and put on a high burner.

3. Remove from burner when water comes to a boil, cover and let stand 10 minutes.

4. Transfer to bowl of ice water with slotted spoon, and let stand 6 minutes.

5. Remove from ice water.

The ice water bath halts cooking, prevents the greening of the yolk, and causes the shell membrane to separate from the white, making them easier to peel.

Since we are talking boiled eggs, I’ll confess that I have a gadget in my kitchen which is absurd. It is an egg boiler.

Yes, it’s the world’s stupidest appliance, but I use it most every work day. I throw two eggs into the cooker while I put on my makeup. They’re done right around the time I have to leave the house for work. I wrap them up in paper towels and stick them in my purse, then eat them at my desk along with some instant oatmeal.

The Earl of Blandings didn’t like them like that either.

Don’t feel defensive…I don’t think it’s stupid at all! Mine cost $10 about 20 years ago and I can be assured the eggs won’t overcook because I’ve forgotten about them. It’s the only way I can make soft-boiled eggs, that’s for sure. Takes up almost no space, and uses less water and energy than boiling on the stove.

Would I pack it for the apocalypse? No, because it’s electric, but it’s definitely one of my top 10 kitchen items.

1 Like

But then… what do I put the chicken in to shake the eggs out?

1 Like

This is my philosophy for peel-and-eat shrimp. It started because I never knew I wasn’t supposed to when I was a kid, but now to me, the crunchiness is the best part.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.