Quiet quitters of the world, unite and take over!

Originally published at: Quiet quitters of the world, unite and take over! | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Who else though the headline said “Quilters”, admit it.

6 Likes

NOTE: You don’t have to be low wage to be in an environment where you’re afraid of getting fired or laid off and losing your health insurance. That insecurity is there no matter your salary unless you’re in the C-Suite.

19 Likes

As a Gen Xer, I’ve long considered it my duty to encourage young people to engage in quiet quitting (or, as we used to call it, “slacking off”).

24 Likes

I really appreciated the chance to laugh, but I’m really more of a needle felter.

2 Likes

The idea of quiet quilters makes me think there are loud quilters out there. Ones who like heavy metal and perhaps a bit of tea while they work.

11 Likes

I’m slacking off right now…

10 Likes

But also, none of this is new, despite what mainstream media might like to portray. Workers have always dragged their feet at shitty jobs that they can’t afford to quit. We just have a catchy new name for it.

I don’t know if these reporters and pundits are imagining some world where everyone pours their heart and soul into being the best darned burger flipper or box stacker that has ever lived, but said world has never existed.

Anyone who has had a shitty job knows you do enough to get by and keep your sanity intact until you can get something better.

26 Likes

Well, I am reading BB while on the clock, so …

Honestly it’s one of the things I love about my job. They actively encourage you to take time off when you need it (to the point that they’ll figure a way to legally accommodate you if you do run through your sick time, etc., and need more.) Then I hear from my sweetie and her husband who both work for Spectrum and will get penalized for taking their sick time.

Slack away, people!

13 Likes

Not likely to change while “capitalist owners” still own Congress. Vote the bastards out!

6 Likes

My lunchtime now! Heh! Heh!

3 Likes

I still can’t get over the perversity of deciding that “doing what’s required by the job” should be framed as somehow “not working the job at all.” I don’t know who coined the term “quiet quitting” with this meaning, but whoo boy, the capitalist brain rot at play… Charitably, one might see it as “I’ve quietly quit being exploited,” but that doesn’t seem to have been the origin (nor is it the ultimate framing).

16 Likes

If you’ve got time to clean, you’ve got time to lean.

3 Likes

Way to destroy the legend, you monster.

6 Likes

I read it as Critters somehow :person_shrugging:

1 Like

What the media has decided to call “Quiet Quitting” I call “doing the job you pay me for and that’s it”

There seems to be this disconnect, where they tnink that an employer has the right to your undivided attention 24/7. NO! you pay me for a set amount of time (38 hours a week in my case) you get that amount of my time.

There’s been innumerable studies that show workers are only really at the top of their game for about 4-5 hours in a day.

5 Likes

LinkedIn is a helluva drug.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.