Quiet Rooms: Illinois schools lead the nation in imprisoning very young, disabled children in isolation chambers

Seems like that map bundles “schools etc. are allowed to use corporal punishment” with “parents are allowed”, so it might not serve as an exact comparison even among those of the same shade.

1 Like

Reminder that abuse of the disabled is not unrelated to the rest of the fascist shit in America…

…and that these folks can always use more help:

2 Likes

It’s actually scary that there are people, “educators”, who are willing to carry out these measures. Put yourself in that situation, there is a child crying alone and scared in a room, begging for help, and you’re fucking sitting outside and taking notes like you’re Dr. Mengele or something. What the fuck.

8 Likes

It’s the ‘Family Values’ party. They only value their own family, not anyone else’s.

3 Likes

I had the same problem in another thread, and @smulder gave a great work-around:

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve been in a similar setup when I was in the behavior disorder part of the school system back in Wichita. They put us in small rooms like that to ‘cool off’ but oftener they just do it to punish us for any sleight. Frankly, I’m surprised this stuff hasn’t gotten more attention until now.

3 Likes

Good question. The wording of the Propublica title says a lot, too (emphasis mine):

Children are being locked away, alone and terrified, in schools across Illinois. Often, it’s against the law. [Jennifer Smith Richards, Jodi S. Cohen and Lakeidra Chavis/Propublica]

The fact that this practice isn’t always against the law is terrible.

2 Likes

Well supposedly these teachers wanted to help these kids out - but it was just wrong on so many levels. I can’t describe it. It’s on youtube by Vice.

The problem is there isn’t a proper program set up with properly trained people. So even if compassion is the answer, we need to figure out how to translate that to working programs within schools.

My mom was a para for BD kids for like 15 years. She struggled to keep them on task, but she’s a very caring person and was trying to help. They didn’t have isolation rooms etc. But then again, they didn’t have kids stabbing each other in class either.

True. The map I quoted is really only useful for comparing “complete prohibition of corporal punishment” vs “children do not enjoy the right of security of the person in all situations”.
My takeaway was that complete prohibition is becoming the norm in Europe and South America, but that only the two smallest of the Five Eyes counties have made that step, and that only quite recently (2015 in the case of Ireland).

The “prohibited in some settings” ranges from “prohibited in public schools only” to “only parents may assault their children with impunity”, which is a pretty wide range.

They have a different map, Schools | Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children, which focuses on schools only. It makes most of the Anglosphere look better, and it makes the US look worse by contrast.

Yes, it’s really a question, not just an accusation. I mean, of course there are lots of other things to criticize, but one cannot deny that America has been at the forefront of many human rights issues, and I know from personal experience that Americans are a friendly and approachable lot in general. Yet the record on children’s rights is abysmal. So really, what’s wrong?

I think it’s a combination of people abusing positions of authority in general and the desire for decentralization from the regulatory side. It’s very difficult to fight advocates for home rule in the U.S. and the result is varying standards for education in different states. Add private vs. public, religious vs. secular, or certain cultural beliefs to the equation, and it becomes more difficult to reach consensus.

Does that mean Somalia finally signed?

Edit: looks like they did in 2015

4 Likes

Somalia had said that they wouldn’t sign until they got their own house in order, politically speaking.

Ergo, we are less functional a country than Somalia. Yowza.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.