High school students who will not smile in the hallways are sent to mandatory counselling, while bullying is rampant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/21/jennifer-hassler.html

6 Likes

heathers_u1btmn

33 Likes

Solution: you either start a protest where everyone walks around frowning (thus overwhelming the counselors) or print out some fake cartoon smiles for people to wear over their mouths in the hallways.

26 Likes

29 Likes

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

55 Likes

I went to school in a neighboring district (Annville-Cleona) for a couple of years. That was pretty grim, and Annville’s technically a college town; I think Northern Lebanon is mostly just slag heaps? So it makes sense they’d have to force people to feign happiness.

13 Likes

Whoever came up with this is clearly wasting their potential by working in school administration; this is practically a recommendation for a cabinet position.

16 Likes

13 Likes

Obtuse, petty dictators.

14 Likes

Is the mandatory counseling during school hours? If so, shouldn’t we question denying a child an education because of how their face looks?
If not, what would be the punishment for failure to attend?

14 Likes

The first time I heard about this story I was hoping it was some sort of hoax, because this is just beyond ridiculous.

Talk about control freaks only concerned with appearances.

Im glad I’m well out of school because Im not a smiler unless I fee like it, and this would be my reaction to such an unnecessary and asinine rule:

39 Likes

21 Likes

Paranoia1

Take your happy pills™ citizen!

24 Likes

First thing I thought of. Beat me to it.

5 Likes

Today’s thread winner is here!

6 Likes

5624589e6ea7cd72d4dc7026eae8f7b8
Smiles, Everyone! Smiles!

19 Likes

Yep, that’s right. Another Jethro Tull lyric reference. Problem with that? :wink:

"In that forsaken paradise that calls itself “Hell”…
well -meaning fool, pick up thy bed and rise up from your gloom smiling.

3 Likes

what the actual f&^%?
1.) why?
2.) mandatory…?
3.) who sues them first? or in light of today’s SC ruling, who goes to arbitration first?

this is total and utter bullshiat.

8 Likes

They’re not employees under contract; the lawsuits for this stupidity are inevitable.

14 Likes

heathers-wrong-time-human-being

19 Likes