Georgia school principal suspended the student who posted video of crowded hallway of maskless students

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/06/georgia-school-principal-suspe.html

14 Likes

Post more vids, children; they will be evidence for the inevitable viable lawsuits against the school and that distict.

90 Likes

The technology may change, the controversies may not always involve life-or-death medical issues, but authoritarian school administrators remain the same through it all.

I hope the parents of this kid sue the school district. Better still if the ACLU gets involved.

63 Likes

Is the school suspending this kid legal?

23 Likes

I dunno, but I’m a little confused on how they expect to come down on the right side of anything if their argument is entirely “Come to Plague High School or else you’re gonna get in trouble and NOT be allowed to attend Plague High School.”

The only winning move is not to play, since neither outcome is desirable.

55 Likes

And of course, the administration is still treating mask-wearing as a safety precaution for the wearer, and not for the rest of the public, when it is essentially an action to stop the spread rather than protect oneself.

38 Likes

Almost certainly not. They could have gotten away with it by applying some fig leaf about the use of a phone being a school rules violation, but the announcement got rid of their plausible deniability.

28 Likes

Happy to see that troublemaking student activist journalism is alive & well. Also, clueless admin did this kid a favor by suspending them from such an unsafe situation.

41 Likes

Kids, if you call out the leaders you will be punished! This is the fascist indoctrination version of snitches get stitches.

36 Likes

I mean, 69% of votes for President in 2016 cast in Paulding County, Georgia were for the more fascist of the two “mainstream” candidates.

12 Likes

“Sacrificing school teachers to the great bull god to make line go up.”

32 Likes

He got suspended for embarrassing the principal. This would be a slam dunk if the student decides to sue

42 Likes

Lawsuits. Settlements. Job opening for a Principal who understands they won’t be working for a private school.

21 Likes

It’s Paulding Co, which is pretty red… it’s highly unlikely the school board will can him, unless there is a huge uproar among parents… and I suspect not too few of the parents don’t see a problem here.

17 Likes

Anyone know if the principle or any of the school board members are on Twitter? I’d love to see how they try to spin this.

4 Likes

Mixed metaphors, incoherent thoughts, illogical assertions… the levels of stupid here (beyond the wishful thinking about COVID) say everything that needs to be said about public education in the US.

16 Likes

https://www.paulding.k12.ga.us/Page/23233

School contact information

Important Phone Numbers

Front Office: 770-443-9400
Fax: 678-363-8544

And let’s throw in the school district’s twitter account:

https://twitter.com/pauldingboe

16 Likes

This is Georgia, one of the failed states in the Deep South. This is how these states operate: little to no transparency, no respect for free thought, suppression of facts and truth, and a ridiculous emphasis on religiosity, when all their religious worldview has done is promote strife, racism, and oppression.

9 Likes

So if all the students shared video like this, they’d all be suspended? Sounds like an easy way to achieve remote learning.

27 Likes

That’s what I said; the whole student body should post vids to intentionally get themselves suspended.

25 Likes