Georgia school principal suspended the student who posted video of crowded hallway of maskless students

Oh that’s gonna end well.

damn son, “Failed State”? Home of MLK, John Lewis, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Delta, CocaCola, Turner Broadcasting, Ray Charles, James Brown, Outkast and Migos

stereotype much?

5 Likes

count the masks. paulding is Atlanta exurbs - deep maga country

1 Like

Covering up “negative” stuff instead of dealing with it is one of the things that got the world into this mess in the first place.

13 Likes

/s

Good thing we fought so hard to keep them in the Union, and supported them financially for all these years. We even let them keep flying the flag of their failed attempt at secession because heritage and other reasons!

Georgians with half the common sense of a cabbage:
Move North. We have hand soap and masks and we believe in science and rational thought.

Other Georgians:
Congratulations! You live in one of those shithole countries we’ve been hearing all about! How’s that decision been treating you? Still all good? Cool!

5 Likes

I am aware of where it is, thanks.

You just chided someone else for making assumptive stereotypes; maybe try to avoid making them yourself as well?

12 Likes

Tinker v Des Moines says students have 1st Amendment rights in school, but I believe later punishments have been upheld depending on the scenario, such as if the expression is actually disruptive. This might be one of those scenarios where the school is technically okay, not because they’re punishing the kid for posting online, but that it’s proof the kid broke a rule about not having their phone out at school or something like that. They might claim that the post violates the privacy of other students.

Authoritarians are gonna authoritarian, especially when it’s to punish someone making them look bad.

I’m just surprised at how honest they were that it was because it made them look bad. It should be used as proof the punishment is vengeful rather than disciplinary.

12 Likes

So assuming folks don’t know the demographics of a random county in the US is the equivalent of calling an entire state “failed”?

m’kay

1 Like

Kids, somebody has to be smart enough to figure out how to create a fake account, and then post ANYTHING! Reading your principal’s remarks, I believe anything will get past him and his secretary.

2 Likes

That school does not operate in a vacuum…guilt by association.

2 Likes

Keep posting kids. If you get suspended, just include in your college application why and I’m sure you’ll be fine. Heck, make this the subject of your college essay and it might actually help you.

8 Likes

It’s a whistleblower retaliation followed by a First Amendment threat.

10 Likes

33 Likes

This looks like a job for the ACLU.

This kid should give the principal a legal prolapse with a fistful of civil liberties.

8 Likes

Indeed.

But I think ‘home of’ Mercedes Benz and Porsche might be stretching it a bit far. The good burghers of Stuttgart might have something to say about it, too. :wink:

8 Likes

29 Likes

Yes kids, be careful to properly anonymize your uploads!

I especially like the “consequences for…anyone.” Kids, I invite you to send your photos/videos/whatever of unsafe school conditions to me, so I can upload them and face the “consequences” on your behalf.

16 Likes

> Anything that is going on on social media that is negative on our light

This guy’s an educator, with English language skillz like that?

8 Likes

Good idea.

You are not the only person to make such a generous offer;

19 Likes

There is no agreement about what the last three words are in that phrase. I’ve also seen it transcribed as “that is negative or alike.” It’s not clear what the principal was actually trying to say—neither of those guesses really make sense or correspond to common idioms.

Whatever those words were, they don’t seem to affect the meaning of the rest of the statement.

7 Likes