Quitting sugar "changed my brain"

The intersection of friends who like her and IFLS is amusingly high.

1 Like

UGH! NO! Not the same thing!! ARglebargleARG!!!

16 Likes

Plenty of people treat science like a cargo cult. They’re not interested in knowing how biology works. They just want to be told something “interesting”.

5 Likes

Magnets, how do they work!?

1 Like

Crisco is bad? What do you make pie crusts with?

Butter or suet you heathen!

9 Likes

I do, too! Oh well!

1 Like

Then at least post photos!

2 Likes

I figure I’m probably better off with the butter.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not all saturated fats are equal, but replacing fruits and vegetables and whole grains with a large amount of saturated fat, including the worst kinds, is a definite step down, diet-wise.

1 Like

Where did the organized hostess put the cat, exactly?

6 Likes

Don’t go too far off base on cheat day…

2 Likes

I think the leftmost pot on the stove.

Also, the article got me to plunder my emergency chocolate cache.

2 Likes

Well, the problem isn’t carbohydrates, the problem is fast carbs, and sugars are one of the faster ones. IMHO (and I’m not a dietician [though I read up voraciously on nutrition] and slightly overweight [though I attribute that to a far too sedentiary life style]), there’s absolutely nothing wrong with slow carbs, yet the anti-carb rhetoric fails to make that distinction.

Bottom line: avoid sugars, especially refined ones. Avoid concentrated forms of fructose and glucose, which also means agave syrup and honey. Fruit is great, but a handful a day is enough sugars. Replace white bread (and any white flour) with whole grain, or at least half and half.

Don’t go for diet breakfast cereals or cereal bars; they’re loaded with sugars and their only claim to working at all is that they expand in your stomach and make you feel full. All the energy in them comes from sugars, on the other hand. They are pretty much the most deceitful kind of food product possible.

That and a handful of other rules should get you to healthy carb consumption. The rest is up to exercise.

Personally I cut out sugars because I hated the sugar crash, and I can attest that it does take a week or so to get over the cravings. But once you understand how your body responds (not in scientific terms, but in how it feels) it makes it easier to avoid the same patterns. You just have to weather the first crash after you had some more sugar than usual, and accept that no amount of caffeine or sugars will permanently lift you out of it. Only time will, and that’s usually a matter of hours.

Anyway… just my 2c on the carbs thing, with a bit of rant on the side :wink: I hope the ranting can be forgiven.

3 Likes

My emergency chocolate never makes it to the cache. Like a loaded chocolate gun in the hand, it makes its own emergency. The gun almost fires itself. : / It’s better if I just don’t.

(Mmm urgency.)

3 Likes

Perhaps the question should be reversed?

1 Like

Butter.

1 Like

The trick is to scale up to Great Grandmother if you are under forty. My grandmother was born in 1898, so she totally fits Michael Pollans’ standard. My child’s grandmother, OTOH, was a post war housewife. Her son was raised on iceberg lettuce, t.v. dinners, recipes using canned soups and assorted, packaged ‘miracle’ foods.

4 Likes