Quiz: can you tell which police stops are illegal?

[Read the post]

4 Likes

No. I do not think it is. Detained without probable causeā€¦ (right?)

in the state of trumpenstein anything any cop does is legal so donā€™t be a loser and piss them offā€¦ really is that so hard to understand?

2 Likes

I got 6/7. Wrong about the ā€œstep out of the car sirā€ before any suspicion.

2 Likes

Itā€™s worth going through the quiz. Spoiler: U.S. law is super pedantic and all these cases rely on judgement calls from varying SCOTUS lineups.

The one Mark quoted was ruled illegal. But would have been legal if it hadnā€™t involved a search of the vehicle. My guess rate was less than 50% and Iā€™m familiar with a number of the underlying cases. :laughing: :sweat:

4 Likes

Can I have your phone number in case Iā€™m arrested? I doubt most lawyers could score as well.

2 Likes

6/7 here, too. Mine was the one with the person running away. Guess I need to brush up on the definition of ā€˜probable causeā€™.

Trick question, all stops are ā€œlegalā€.

2 Likes

Cites should provide a second prosecutor whose only role is to protect citizens from illegal actions of the police, as this is usually quite difficult and conflict of interesty.

2 Likes

Follow up quiz, which traffic stop is free of risk of murder for a POC who challenges whether the traffic stop is legal?

1 Like

Easy stuff! Probable cause is the cop sees you and you are a suspect for whatever happens to wander through his mind at the time. See. That ainā€™t hard is it?

Based on my results, I find that the scariest thing about US law is that ignorance of it is no excuse. :tired_face:

Well, itā€™s true after Utah vs. Streiff the distinction may as well be meaningless, we can hope for a less shitty SCOTUS in 2017. As long as we try to take back the house and senate and donā€™t elect Trump.

On that end, it pretty much doesnā€™t matter. If the cops want to stop you, theyā€™re going to stop you. And almost entirely without consequence.

I found that quiz. Youā€™re right. Interesting cases, there. I thought that scenario 5 (the anonymous tip) was probably the most interesting of all.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.