QVC host and guest debate whether Earth's moon is a planet or a star

You and your third dimension.

2 Likes

The moon is a star as in “celestial body”. It’s pretty recent that “stars” are understood to be suns and closely related bodies.

3 Likes

Honestly, this just makes me so sad that I can’t even make fun of them.

6 Likes

Yeah, my wording was awkward. I meant why is this being presented as if it just happened?

2 Likes

Oh the banality!

Really though, I just imagine people strapped to a steady IV of cable television when I see things like this.

1 Like

“Recent”, as in “way more than a century ago” -.-’ . This is 3rd-grade stuff. If that.

2 Likes

Actually the moon is a planet by the original Greek definition – πλανήτης (planētēs), meaning “wanderer”. The Greeks distinguished between planets, which appear to move in the sky versus stars, which didn’t. The sun is also a planet by the same definition.

8 Likes

Human error?

Desperation to talk about something other than 45 & Co perpetually?

Yes, the incident is old and I thought this story was a prime example of the Dumbening when it first happened; that said I’m relieved to have any breaks in monotony of the 24-hour-bad-news cycle.

9 Likes

No words… they should… have sent… a poet.

4 Likes

Specifically, the only real difference is that a “planet” mainly orbits a star, while a “moon” mainly orbits another planet. But this becomes very ambiguous, indeed, in the case of “binary planets”. As noted above, the Earth-Moon system is commonly enough (and correctly) referred to as a “binary planet”, as an excellent example. At some arbitrary point, it’s all semantics.

Of course, that doesn’t really help the idiots in the video much ^^’.

5 Likes

“The moon is such a planet I can’t even stand it.”
Such an epic combination of uncertainty and getting ready to maybe be enraged and stuff.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that a binary planet system had both bodies orbiting a barycenter outside the surface of either body.

4 Likes

You’re not wrong but you’re not fully right, either ^^’

Again, it’s just a matter of semantics and convention; it generally makes no difference at all, either way, to the scientific community, except to their equivalent of “grammar Nazis”.

4 Likes

So the only difference between a moon and a planet is that they’re different.

6 Likes

Well it’s hardly surprising they’re confused. Bloody Astronomical Union keeps changing the definitions to exclude planets they don’t like.

11 Likes

What about it?

1 Like

I often wondered what happened to the kids who just kind of slid by in school. I worried what kind of job they might find as an adult. Mystery solved.

6 Likes

The Moon is so big that the Earth-Moon system qualifies as a binary planet. Alternatively you could argue that the Earth is the Moon’s moon.

But I can see the woman’s argument. The sun and the moon are exactly the same size in the sky and they both seem to shine brightly. So they must be the same sort of thing, right?

3 Likes

well put.

If this monk ever learns about astrophysics, his mind is going to be so blown.

1 Like

That would make the Sun and Jupiter a binary star system. Jupiter being a failed star.

1 Like