QVC host and guest debate whether Earth's moon is a planet or a star

Jupiter being a failed star.

ahem.

4 Likes

And the barnacle goose was once considered a type of fish.

5 Likes

It’s hardly a “failed star”, just that it’s career has yet to take off! A new agent, rehab, couple scandals, it’ll be a big star in no time!

9 Likes

Yeah you are right. Jupiter is already slightly bigger than Rebel Wilson. Doing quite well actually.

1 Like

If you want to call Jupiter a brown dwarf, then so are Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

1 Like

Exactly this.

Jupiter doesn’t make it to “Brown Dwarf” territory. I don’t think you can get there with less then 5-10 Jupiter masses, IIRC (far too lazy to check =) ). More specifically, it has to be massive enough to maintain at least occasional bursts of fusion in its core.

4 Likes

This “story” is still funny two years later. I thought it was hilarious the first time I heard it.

1 Like

Saturn is 95.16 M⊕
Jupiter is 317.8 M⊕
Uranus is 14.536 M⊕
Neptune is 17.147 M⊕

(and the sun is 333,000 M⊕)

the disparities are rather large.

Often Neptune and Uranus are grouped together as Ice Giants, and they have more than trace amounts of methane in their atmospheres.

4 Likes

Quick poll: what’s your favourite planet? Your call as to whether or not to disqualify Earth.

I’m a Saturn fan, personally…

I like Mars, but I’m basing it on how much I like the associated Science Fiction…

1 Like

You have to admit those are some cute blouses.

And it’s green cheese, morans.

3 Likes

I knew a model for QVC, she was in her 50s or 60s at the time. If memory serves me correctly, she had a master’s degree that required advanced stats. She was primarily a hand model.

Her reasons for modeling for QVC were (from memory):
1.) It was good intermittent cash, worth the trip down to the studio once to several times a week.
2.) Being “older” and being asked to model was awesome.
3.) She could wear all the awful crap that she would never want to own, and loved the perversity of it.
4.) She had the time to accommodate a second job, and volunteer a few non-profits.

6 Likes

I knew quite a few model/scientists when I was in the lab. Plus plenty of foo/scientists. Scientist are people, and people are diverse.

2 Likes

Her negative reaction to and immediate rejection of the correct answer explains why so many people are this dumb to begin with.

7 Likes

That pattern though.

I was looking for “Neil Tyson” memes to post, since, it’s topical, I guess.

So I googled them…
Ended up on a flat earth site that talked about “Globetards”

WTF?

4 Likes

They were named for it, and not vice versa.

First was The Moon. Then humanity figured out they existed around other planets, so then there was objects to refer to by the indefinite article. “A moon”

Why not use markdown to post an actual poll?

Me, I am fond of Earth, but only because to date it is believed the fishing is crap on other planets.

7 Likes