QVC host and guest debate whether Earth's moon is a planet or a star

3 Likes

Well… With a little work, Europa could be interesting for that. Enceladus too.

1 Like
4 Likes

Gonna need to see some record catches before I book the tickets. You understand.

3 Likes

This is a piece of American English that always confuses me. Semantics is the study of meaning, yet US English seems to use it to mean that some statement has no real meaning.

Just in case it isn’t obvious I suppose I should point out that I’m British and not especially young (almost 62).

2 Likes

Sleeping Satellite.

Fair enough, I can see the confusion. Basically, I’m referring to the
dichotomy between a word’s “intended” meaning vs. what it may actually
become
as any language evolves. More succinctly, the speakers of a given
language decide, not what is written as grammar or semantics. For any
living language, eventually the rules must change to accommodate actual
usage =).

A good example is any slang word that eventually becomes an official part
of the parent language.

1 Like

“The one with the rings…”

1 Like

In this usage, think of it less as the study of meaning and more as the study of labels.

No, recent as in language use. People were perfectly aware about the difference, they just didn’t feel the need to use the exact scientific terms. Kind of like most people still using “meteorite” indiscriminately. Or using the term “apes and humans”.

Venus is still the morning star, despite not being a sun.

2 Likes

There is no such term in the IAU dictionary, so the claim that the Earth-Moon-system is a binary planet is tenuous at best. I’m perfectly willing to go with the IAU when they decide on the definition. Until then, I see that the common center resides within Earth and that Luna is far smaller, and reject the idea that it’s a double planet. Luna’s at best is a dwarf planet which had the bad luck to become a satellite.

3 Likes

Grammer Nazis? Is that like being anti-anti-semantic?

4 Likes

So you’re saying we missed the 30-Day Money Back Guarantee period to send it back, along with the items that came with it?
Going to be paying for this for years…

1 Like

you could kickstart the big bang theory with just only one try just like big business

It means people who really, really want Frasier back on TV.

3 Likes

Curse you Spelling; my nemesisisisisis! (Not Aaron Spelling, of course)

1 Like

And a terrible start to a rap career

1 Like

Wow…at the very end, Mizrahi can’t believe the moon is a “natural satellite” because “things live on it, that means it’s a planet”

1 Like

Wait… i know this one…

2 Likes

5 Likes