R. Lee Ermey, 1944–2018

so did Art Bell, 3 days earlier, 2 years younger

FMJ, and his role in particular, instilled in my young ass a deep fear of the military, one that I retained until well past the age of being military-eligible. That same fear engendered in me the gumption to power through many a telephone call from local recruiters back when I was of bullet-catching age. Thank you, Mr. Ermey!

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for the account (and @knoxblox too). He always seemed like a genuine dude and I’m glad to hear this was the case from your accounts. His performance in FMJ is of course legendary, and even though I am not necessarily into military shows, I remember really enjoying Mail Call.

RIP, and thanks for the memories.

3 Likes

I thought Mail Call was a fun show with a mix of history, tech, and entertainment.

That was the book I got signed. Oddly, so many of the PHOTOS in the book looked like bad video pulls.

1 Like

Mr. Kubrick had asked Mr. Ermey to create a boot camp that was ‘‘the closest thing to a documentary,’’ and, Mr. Ermey said, ‘‘It’s all real.’’ Reality extends to the dog clippers used to shear the recruits in the movie’s opening scene. When Mr. Kubrick couldn’t find clippers that sheared close enough, Mr. Ermey called a friend at the Marine Corps training base at Parris Island, S.C. - the Marine base simulated in the movie -and was told to use clippers designed for French poodles.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.