Racist high-school students expelled

But haven’t you heard my really good argument? It will have a characteristic slightly odd tone, repeat many key phrases in each post, and will just slightly leave out critical context in order to frame this around fear of losing autonomy and freedom. This is very good arguing! Do not miss!

16 Likes
13 Likes

Things are terrible today with assholery for some of us - and just plain terrible in general. They’re part of it.

6 Likes

No one deserves to be mistreated or abused, but the topic here is two students who posted racist content online for shits and giggles and now they are reaping the consequences of their actions.

11 Likes

It’s one thing to claim this is or is not going to hold up in court and why. It is something else entirely to engage in slippery slope whataboutism, which is most definitely offtopic.

And as a personal side note, taking the position of “the law says bigotry is ok”, whether or not you are technically correct, without empathy for the effect this has on others, makes you an asshole, IMHO.

20 Likes

14 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

11 Likes

Yes, but there are a lot of things between “nothing” and “expulsion”.

I’ve repeatedly tried to express that, and that I worry an extreme reaction to a teenage mistake may not have a rehabilitative effect, but maybe that’s “off topic” so I’ll just stop.

Yes, but I wish there was a middle ground, like a long suspension. (That can be done in quarantine)

Ideally the parents would help out too with some punishments but I guess that may be off the table…

Why not?

It’s not as if the people lamenting the rightful expulsion actually have anything to risk - this is all just theoretical for them, a nifty thought exercise that has no real life impact…

Edited to correct terminology.

9 Likes

I thought they were expelled?

Suspension sounds perfectly reasonable and appropriate

These are not the only students whose well-being we should be concerned with, yeah?

12 Likes

And the state is severely restricted in its power to impose consequences for unethical speech.

1 Like

Of course; they’re White, so they’re the only people who actually matter.

Why waste any time considering any POC who may have been negatively impacted by the callous comments?

It’s all about these two poor teenagers who are old enough to be accountable for their choices and how unfair it is to them that their hateful actions have resulted in some actual negative consequences.

13 Likes

You’re really showing us how invested you are in the current system that prioritizes some children over others. The school system has a responsibility to all children, not just white ones. That means making choices and sometimes, yes, limiting speech.

There are literally decades of literature on the harm of racism on the well-being of the victims, maybe go look that up. Brown V. Board was decided in part on the damaging impact on black children of segregated schools.

15 Likes

Having read yours and a few other comments, I can see why you feel explulsion was ok.

To be honest, for my own reasons, any adult talking about how a high schooler is “old enough to make their own decisions” is a bit of a trigger.

And maybe I did bring in my own biases by not thinking about the effects on the other students. But I promise it wasn’t out of hate, and I’m sorry I stirred things up.

1 Like

Again, why should they care if it doesn’t impact them directly?

“Fuck everyone who isnt me, and doesnt look like me.”

That’s the American way, right?

8 Likes

I don’t think anyone assumed maliciousness on your part. Ignorance maybe.

6 Likes

It is Trump’s America, after all!

8 Likes

Maybe.

Also concern that if you expel someone on the first offense, and that’s not the norm, the entire punishment gets thrown out, and that would probably feel worse, in the end, than a suspension that could more likely hold up in court.

But I should have made that explicit.