Racist micro aggressions, or, please stop touching other people's hair

Seems like half of the country wants to do that all the time, not just when women are pregnant.

6 Likes

True dat.

3 Likes

I have not had similar experiences, but my mileage does vary.

Perhaps.

Therein lies the problem, in a nutshell; I believe that the last few generations have been intentionally but covertly socialized in a way that diminishes the overall capacity for empathy.

2 Likes

May it is seen (by some) as not quite someoneā€™s body but rather something attached to someoneā€™s body? Almost like a piece of clothing or something? Just a guess. I am not a hair toucher.

Well, and Iā€™m a six foot SWM toward whom society conditions people to be more considerate in a way that isnā€™t collectively representative of American population, so in fact itā€™s probably my experience thatā€™s the exception.

Sadly, while I donā€™t know how intentional itā€™s been (though Iā€™m open to the possibility) I believe you are correct.

1 Like

I know Iā€™d be just as squicked out if someone was trying to touch my clothing without asking. Personal boundaries, I guess!

I know. Even if it were ok to touch peoples hair itā€™s not something Iā€™d want to do. Itā€™s not like cultural etiquette is holding me back.

I think so too: curiosity is normal. I used to get that kind of touching in China. Stroking the hairy arms was more common than going for my head, but I once had every hairdresser in the shop take a spell so they could cop a feel of my hair (which does grow pretty thick). But it does get wearing and having someone you donā€™t know pawing at your head without being asked is unpleasant.

3 Likes

The hair thing I understand, Iā€™ve been ā€œotherā€ and had it happen to me. But the author also writes:

Later in the day, a man made a comment to me about my skin, telling me how ā€œjealousā€ he was of how it ā€œhandled the sun.ā€ I laughed and let him know he should be jealous, because there is no way Iā€™d ever want skin that so easily burned when outside. He laughed and agreed: it did burn. His words burned, too.

Having blue eyes and being extremely pale (to the point Iā€™m frequently asked if Iā€™m unwell or tired) means Iā€™m also rather jealous of skin that doesnā€™t burn and eyes that donā€™t need sunglasses in bright sunlight.

I donā€™t follow why ā€œhisā€ words would burn, particularly as he was self deprecating enough to laugh with her?

1 Like

Nano-aggressions?

2 Likes

Heā€™s jealous of the very thing that marks her for prejudice 24/7/365, because of the relatively minor advantage of being less likely to burn in the sun.

4 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 312 days. New replies are no longer allowed.