Racist royal aide quits after remarks to black Buckingham Palace visitor

I remember when Eva Longoria did the PBS genealogy show – Faces of America – and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. pointed out that her family has owned land in Texas longer than the state has been a part of the U.S. They’ve lived under every sovereign flag flown in that state, but like other native-born Texans with Mexican heritage have to deal with “go back where you came from” all the time.

19 Likes

France The Coneheads GIF by Saturday Night Live - Find & Share on GIPHY
You see, she was just trying to make sure that there weren’t any extraterrestrials infiltrating the palace!

9 Likes

Time in exile?

4 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of, “There’s a place in France where the naked ladies dance…”

4 Likes

So she’s been to Forn Parts?

5 Likes

Yes, that’s another good (though bad) example.

19 Likes

Lady Susan Hussey

7 Likes

You missed out why she was invited – a reception about violence against women – which has been totally over-shadowed now, as the victim lamented this morning.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Never at any point in history has a person of colour said: ‘F**k it, I’ll just do some cheese on toast.’

That reminds me in a roundabout way of this article about Facebook nostalgia memes. Apparently nobody eats beans on toast any more.

Who still eats beans on toast? Who remembers turning an old sheet into a ghost costume? Who remembers sleepovers? Men opening doors for women? Slow dancing to Nat King Cole. Beech-nut chewing gum. Worzel Gummidge. Sweets by the ounce. Icicles hanging from the window frame (“Before central heating!”). Miss World (“All natural. Not a bit of botox in sight”). The power cuts of 1972-4 (“we coped, we were strong”). Scrubbing and polishing your front steps (“That’s when people had pride in where they lived”). Outdoor toilets. Cigarette machines. Flares. Playing in bombsites. Jumping in puddles. Roland Rat.

6 Likes

Thankfully, there’s an xkcd to counter binmenism

[alt text: We watched DAYTIME TV. Do you realize how soul-crushing it was? I’d rather eat an iPad than go back to watching daytime TV.]

13 Likes

And the Daily Heil is all over this story.

“60 years of loyal service gone in 5 hours” or some such bullshit.

Not posting a link, natch.

11 Likes

Yeah, there was a Daily Heil article (maybe the same one?) that was a textbook example of all the ways to downplay the real issue and instead promote all sorts of non-issues as the real problem…such a perfect representation that I considered posting it here to marvel at, but decided against it.

• The royal aide didn’t mean anything by it, and in fact is a paragon of diplomacy, as her ‘job’ required;
  • Her victim brought it on herself by wearing African clothing and promoting African pride;
  • Funny how the victim was eager to enjoy the benefits of hobnobbing with royalty, until she found something she could use to make a statement;
  • etc., etc.
12 Likes

Yep, that sounds like the one.
So much crap to sift through and choose from, you’d think they did it on purpose.
/s

6 Likes

5 Likes

As one of John Hodgman’s frequent sayings goes: nostalgia is a toxic impulse

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.