Radical press demands copyright takedown of Marx-Engels Collected Works

[Permalink]

Do you have a UK friendly link to that torrent?

marxists.org has been a useful reference site and I hate the idea of losing even part of it.

Update: I found a proxy that sort of worked after the third attempt, I wasn’t having much luck before then.

2 Likes

Sad, muted trumpet says “Wah, wah, wah, waaawawawawaaaaaah.”

1 Like

I get nothing at that link, just contacting piratebay…

1 Like

As one anarchist philosopher put it, “Properity is theft.” I wonder what he would make of “intellectual property”?

2 Likes

That was Proudhon. A far better philosopher than Marx or his hypocritical industrialist buddy Engels.

1 Like

OMG. The irony is so powerful that I had to wear googles!

Both Marx and Engels died in the 19th century, how can any works by them still be in copyright?

Publishers copyright in the uk is 25 years after first publication, so even if there was a copyright for the arrangement of the collected works it would be long expired.

Am I missing something, or is this just a case of copyfraud?

1 Like

A response worthy of Left Unity.

1 Like

The claimed copyright is in the English translation, not the original works, which were in German.

2 Likes

This is a pity. I would have to doubt that anybody outside of researchers would actually pay to use 52 volumes worth of material. It is not like the average Marxist is going to go to Amazon and spend $20+ per volume. What they should have done was to give a private use waiver to marxists.org as long as they gave a link to buying a discounted ebook on the site. This would maintain their revenue from researchers while allowing people on the internet to use the books to continue debate (as well as some extra income from private use ebook sales). They would have made more money while allowing their books to have a greater distribution.

2 Likes

I wonder if the Radical Press has decided to embrace Chernyshevsky’s “the worse the better” theory of hastening capitalism’s demise and will do their bit by being as invidious as legally possible in order to foment discontent with the current order?

1 Like

ATTENTION

The linked torrent archive contains a trojan virus

The Trojans were fellow-travellers, so it’s okay.

1 Like

20 bucks say that it’s not actually a Trojan, but a false positive from the archive itself.

3 Likes

Don’t click that torrent link.

wget --recursive --no-clobber --page-requisites  --convert-links  --domains marxists.org  --no-parent  http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/

The above should get you a nice collection of everything that’s going to be taken down, and believe the Archive Team have already backed up the whole site.

1 Like

I’m scanning the archive now, and I will let everyone know what I find out. I have to go out though so If anyone else wants to scan it first then please let us know what you find out.

so when were translated in English, after 1989?

I know not whether the linked torrent contains a virus, but you should note that it contains the entire English language content of MIA - i.e. 10 GB - whereas the stuff that’s going to be removed from MIA is only around 100MB.

Someone on the MIA Facebook group has created a torrent of just the stuff that’s going to be removed; see this thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5636348598/permalink/10152353155103599/

Or, if you prefer, the info hash for the torrent is e0460a773a3e6b7fb4afe2015c92c3c5337f1b7e.

(If you’re using Transmission, you can just enter the info hash and it will do the rest for you; otherwise you can construct a magnet link by using the format magnet:?xt=urn:btih:INFOHASH)

3 Likes