European Parliament rejects copyright bill

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/05/european-parliament-rejects-co.html

16 Likes

Huzzah! Now make sure that it doesn’t bounce back out of committee with minor changes.

18 Likes

So the EU Parliament is 47% fuckwits and/or arseholes. Not too encouraging…

Here’s how you do that - give the fuck up on copyright; it’s obsolete.

13 Likes

YES! Many more battles to fight, but this does give me hope.

3 Likes

That’s one bullet dodged. Sadly, the rent-seeking holders of intellectual property have lots of ammunition.

13 Likes

Oh thank heavens.
I was certain we were fucked. The whole issue seemed to be getting so little publicity in the mainstream media.

9 Likes

It seems only the anti-EU loonies vote in the fucking MEP elections. Then again I usually vote for most left-wing-green-pirate that has has to qualify by meritocratic, technocratic principals and usually is under 30 years old and they never ever win.

6 Likes

That may not have been such a bad thing, if the flavour of the Guardian’s coverage is typical:

6 Likes

It’s a start at least. It’s just so frustrating reading that guardian article and
Iistening to musicians today on the radio saying how they support this when they seemingly don’t care or have no idea how anyone without the resources of G and FB can survive.

6 Likes

Paul McCartney was never cool.
Now he’s just a twat.

6 Likes

Ehm, how about no? Without copyright, none of the ‘copyleft’ licenses (like GPL, creative commons etc) work. There’s nothing wrong with copyright per se (if the term is reasonable, the 70yrs after the author’s death is way too long imho), if someone makes something they deserve some legal backup against getting ripped off.

The pre-emptive filtering is retarded of course. And the link tax is also an idiotic legal solution to something which can be solved technically (referer ids and session cookies can be used if you want to prevent deeplinking into your site, for example. No law required).

7 Likes

Meh. Paul McCarney is a pretty cool dude (as far as famous rich guys can be ‘cool dudes’. Being rich nearly always somewhat assholifies people). But he’s also an old fart. Old farts don’t know and don’t care. That’s a given.

4 Likes

But they don’t want to prevent deeplinking, they want to be given money for it.

7 Likes

Whew! Thank freakin’ god.

Now how long is is going to be before they sneak try to sneak it in as some sort of rider? No doubt with some piece of legislation named the EU equivalent of a flag waving “Patriots for 'Murica! Protect yer guns!” (Sorry, don’t have a wide enough knowledge of EU politics to give it a proper name.) :grin:

3 Likes

Yes. It’s plain old greedyness . But they present it as if deeplinking is the problem. And people believe it.

“Directive on the protection and enhancement of unified inter-organisational cross-market intragouvernemental multi-body citizen privacy control for the Digital Age.”

The E.U. loves a word salad for lunch. They presumably need the greens to survive traveling back&forth between Brussels and Strasbourg all the time.

4 Likes

Time to spin down the outrage engines and do a quick oil check before it’s time to set them a-clattering again.

3 Likes

Lessee…
“Creative Artist Protection Ordinances” (CAPO)
“Anti-Pirate Ring Ordinances For Internet Technology Benefit Including Licensing Legislation” (APROFITBILL)

Or, if they’re being self-aware:
“Internet Monitoring Anti-Piracy Regulations Including Copyright Keychecks” (IMAPRICK)

7 Likes

I think that’s a tad tautological. “Getting ripped off” implies copyright exists. You seem to be arguing that copyright should exist because otherwise copyright owners (who are all too frequently not the creators of a work) won’t get to exercise the benefits of copyright.

4 Likes

I think you will find that he is a dick, cock, ballsack, knob, bellend, tosser, wanker, or jizz-stain.

1 Like

Anyone have a link to how each MEP voted?