Today, an EU committee voted to destroy the internet. Now what?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/20/no-surrender.html

1 Like

passed by a single vote.

no cory, it was worst; 10:15, not 12:13 as predicted. and guess what? we will never know who did a switcheroo, cause it was naturally a secret ballot.

and much to my embarrassment this whole riesengrosse, unfassbare scheisse was initiated and pushed till this day by a german politican, most likely in bed with one of the biggest news-publisher in germany. the guy in the photo from julias tweet, axel voss.

6 Likes

The European Parliament committee votes and deliberations aren’t a matter of public record? Sounds to me like y’all might be better off scrapping the EU and trying again.

I think the link thing is just funny. I’m looking forward to watching the news organizations that lobbied for it drop off the face of the internet.

The solution to the copyright one might be just for everyone in Europe to use a VPN, and have all their actual internetty stuff handled by Americans. That would have the added advantage of getting around other European censorship rules, since once they drive their people to that point, European governments have lost any say at all over what their people post and read.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Of course the logic of “now we have to persuade MORE people to vote our way,” applies to the copyright rentiers too…

its beyond stupid; I have no idea what they hope to accomplish with that; didnt worked in germany at all, didnt worked in spain either.

yep, seems like this is where it’s going

3 Likes

’Now what?"

Golly, I dunno. A couple of months ago we lost net neutrality, and now I’m sitting in a backyard shed posting with a 300 baud acoustic modem. How much worse can it get???

Morse? Semaphore?

seems I was not entirely right, its more or less speculation, but:

Who voted which way was not officially recorded. But according to my team’s observations, these are the MEPs who voted for restricting your freedoms online

https://juliareda.eu/2018/06/not-giving-up/

1 Like

Good. The EU will get about 15 minutes into the total blockade of Google services and websites before a hastily modified amendment is voted on. Mark my words.

I hope Google demands all 28 of the countries send their Prime Minister/leader to Google headquarters on bended knee, with flowers and chocolates.

Grumpy_Cat-Good

Google will make the EU it’s bitch

This is a pretty bad result but I’m still not in a place where I can clap and cheer private companies pushing governments around. I’m not sure that’s had great outcomes in the long term.

“withdrawing your service from where it’s apparently not wanted” <> “pushing around”

If the EP had not already let the media industry make it its daddy, it would not have any problem with Google.

Aren’t there European search engines? There’s a lot of redundancy in other things on the grounds “We can’t rely on the Americans for that” (not altogether unjustified lately, granted). There’s Galileo, which is a European GPS, there’s the DNA sequence database ENSEMBL to compete with the US NCBI, and so on.

While my “GOOD” statement was more sarcasm and bluster, I’m sure most websites like Amazon, Netflix and Google will post some kind of landing page for all those who log in from the EU. Another of those “If you want to continue using xx service without interruption, please call your local leader and tell them you support freedom on the internet”.

And yes there are European versions of other services but you’ll be surprised how much these companies have engrained themselves into every aspect of life, including government email servers.

And while I don’t think Google can control the EU, it can let everyone who uses the services to contact their leaders and complain. It’s a very effective tool.

@greg_codori @notthatmia
All of the arguments made here saying that Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc will force the EU to change their laws are arguments that can be copied verbatim to the GDPR discussion. Except for in the GDPR discussion the law actually has a positive effect for end users (and strangely is in direct contradiction to these new articles on a few points). Or do you not like the GDPR? And would you like Google et al to use their weight to roll these laws back too?

My point is that these new laws are extremely shitty and we should do everything in our power to stop them from actually coming into effect. But to get this law of the books it is counter productive and dumb to just rely on the big internet firms. They can actually use these laws as a tool to fortify their monopoly, creating deals to abide by the laws that new firms could never negotiate.

Besides that, I don’t see how you could feel comfortable to let those giant cooperations fight your battles for you. They do not have your best interests in mind, not even remotely.

I don’t know what these “other European censorship rules” are you are mentioning?

With the GDPR we just created a law that has already had a positive effect on the entire internet and with the totally tapped and monitored state of the American internet I don’t think your get to take that position of superiority.

I don’t think we get to take a position of superiority in everything, but certainly in censorship.

The “right to be forgotten” is censorship in all cases, and completely unjustifiable when used by public figures.

Britain, and some other European countries, have libel laws in which the truth is not always a defense.

In France, Le Pen was recently prosecuted for tweeting images of ISIS executions. There have been similar prosecutions in Germany.

France also shut down a copwatch site which was documenting police brutality.

Just off the top of my head, but there are plenty of examples.

They are. actually. At a next meeting they’ll approve the minutes of past meetings, and then they’ll be published on the European Parliament site.

Thing is, the EU sites aren’t exactly known for being user friendly and then there’s the issue that ALL documents must be translated to all 23 official work languages.

The real issue is that the European Parliament doesn’t really work, since the biggest 4 countries (Germany, France, the UK, and Italy) have almost half of all MEPs, so smaller countries have little to no voice. Sure, they have representation on paper, but Germany alone has more MEPs than Malta, Luxemburg, Estonia, Cyprus, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ireland, Slovakia, and Danemark together, and the smaller countries don’t really have a way to offset this.

So yeah, we do need a better European Union.

1 Like

Lest we forget, this is the same UE that has slapped Microsoft with 1,5 billion euro fines, Apple with 13 billion euro fines, and Google itseft with 2,4 billion euro, so yeah, I’m not really expecting them to change anything in this idiotic legislation.
In fact, Google is very much one of the main targets of this legislation, hitting them where it hurts isn’t an accident, it’s absolutely the objective.

It was 14 for, 9 against, and 2 abstained:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/cmsdata/149721/juri-committee-result-roll-call-votes-20062018.pdf

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.