Ranking authors by their adverb use

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/17/quantified-literature.html

1 Like

I had to look that up, and I find that it’s one of those words that also means the opposite: repeating a word for rhetorical effect; and avoiding the repetition of a word in normal prose. Oy vey, what a language!

4 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering whether Cory referred to grammatical or rhetorical anaphora…

5 Likes

Speaking of Hemingway, I once ran across this kind of automated grading system for writing that used his work as a reference: I found it helped reduce bloat, but then a horrible idea occurred to me; I inputted the text from a chat log using much, much too much netspeak, and it gave it a perfect Hemingway* seal of approval.

*as the system saw it, based off of Hemingway’s works.

3 Likes

As the great Stephen King says in his book On Writing:

7 Likes

Bigly!

Post must be at least 9 characters today. Recently it was 15. Last year it was 6. You guys roll dice daily or weekly?

7 Likes

That’s why i often resort to posting pictures instead if BB decides my post is too short

3 Likes

Post must contain at least 9 adverbs

5 Likes

I always, always, always avoid repeating words in my own prose.
Is that always like that with the rest of your own prose?

3 Likes

Fuck no. He said plainly.

I’m sorry Stephen King. I tried. Poorly.

4 Likes

Fuckly noly, hely saidly plainly, withly noly embellishingly embellishmently.

3 Likes

Steinbeck repeated verbs often(ly)

I think it’s beautiful when done right well.

3 Likes

Clean up on aisle 4

2 Likes

H. Rider Haggard - beating that Tolkien chappie once again!

2 Likes

Front page must contain at least 9 adverts.

2 Likes

“Mauve” is not an adverb. “Mauvely” now…

Lotsa new lines seems to work…

Is there a way to feed text into something that can list all the different words out in a database, so you could write some query’s to figure this out? I’d love to know what my work looks like. Might show some unexamined bias I wasn’t aware of.

Get your all-in-one combination vape / headphones / twisty glass blunt / multitool / kitchen gadget / deck of cards / cybersecurity course bundle / magician’s kit / snowglobe collection here! A $99999 value, on sale for $999 $99 $9 we pay you!

3 Likes

You forgot Lockpicks!