Raspberry Pi Pico 2 arrives for $5

Originally published at: Raspberry Pi Pico 2 arrives for $5 - Boing Boing

5 Likes

The original Pico (RP2040) is no slouch either. I use it and the Teensy for most of my experiments. It’s great if you want to turn some wires into something you can access over USB. There’s even good keyboard firmware for it that is very easy to build and configure.

I’ve also been dabbling with Daisy Seed Pod (STM32H750IB, single core 480 MHz Cortex-M7) for doing audio and synth stuff because it can have a LOT of full speed external RAM (64MB) for doing time based effects and samples or granular synthesis or running larger projects.

8 Likes

Stoked about this and the possibilities of gp2040ce game controllers/emulation in one place. Maybe. with lights. I dunno, it’ll be fun to find out.

1 Like

Pico Doom!

This is another demonstration of the power and versatility of the RP2350 which has been shown running PalmOS and emulating a GameBoy Color, also on the DEF CON badge.

4 Likes

I’m also an RPi pico user, it’s cheap enough and the sdk is not so terrible.
And of course the Teensy 4.1 when something more heavyweight is needed.

OK, we are in sync here too!
BTW: the H750 has, in fact, the full 2 MB of its larger siblings, one just needs to lie a bit to the toolchain…of course, no guarantee it all works and is reliable, but for a home project it’s good enough!

The new RP2350 chip is quite interesting, with its choice of cores.
The Cortex-M33 is much more efficient than the M0+, and having a (single precision) floating point unit is a great boost when needed.
The included RISC-V cores are also interesting, I think it’s a first step to transition away from Arm: they have designed them in-house, after all.
We’ll see the reception, but I find it a good move.
Also the line-up with larger chips with more GPIO and internal flash makes the RP235x more interesting in a wider range of applications.
The PIO has been talked about a lot, more is of course better.
It still, IMHO, remains a hobbyist/maker oriented MCU, it gained a lot of traction in industrial applications during the pandemic, as it was one of the very few MCUs not in shortage, but some choices are a bit strange (and the docs are quite ugly, TBH, wrt NXP or ST documentation).
Did they keep the asinine way to address the two cores during debug (two separate DPs)? (cheks DS…)
No! They aren ow on two APs (as 99% of all >1 core MCUs), finally a reasonable way to have simpler dual core debugging!

Note: all IMHO, YMMV, I have not gone fully through the DS, but gave it a good read in the changed parts already.

2 Likes

I’ll be interested to see what people discover about the implementation of choosing one of two totally separate pairs of CPUs when they pop the top off.

Is there a nontrivial amount of peripheral duplication; or some sort of correspondingly smaller variant of scheme they used on the pi 5 to put basically all the peripherals on a single PCIe link from the BCM SoC?

I assume that hardware inspection will provide no insight into this; but I’d also be curious whose use cases were behind the substantial increase in platform lockdown features vs. the 2040. Secure and encrypted boot, anti-rollback, debug disable, glitch detection, and ‘trustzone’ isolation must have had someone’s interest to be worth the implementation.

1 Like

RP2350 which has been shown running PalmOS

One of these days, I’d like to do a makeover of my Palm IIIe: replace the screen, processor, add a lithium battery, etc.

I think I’ll wait until the PicoW2 or equivalent comes along.

And this:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.