Re: "white people don't season"

Pure evil is the seasoning used there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Gasps, cluthces pearls)
Chile poser is for candy, possibly fruit.

/s (not /s)

and

Well, I guess this puts me in the “normal people” category for the first time in my life.

3 Likes

I am of the firm belief that even garlic does not have enough garlic.

9 Likes

Eazy-E
RIP

http://www.publicenemy.com/news/620/pe-family-salutes-ice-t-and-the-late-great-eazye.html

His work was important.

1 Like

Oldie but goodie:

Meanwhile, in another Korean restaurant:

12 Likes

A simple way to make anchovies more palatable to those of us who dislike them is to run hot water over the tin before opening. This seems to loosen the hold of the salt they’re packed with and renders the taste more mild. Also, you can’t make a decent Caesar dressing without anchovies.

3 Likes

Oh, and hot sauce!
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07072006

1 Like

Science

3 Likes

I find that many who suppose that they don’t like anchovies feel this way because they have had only the cured ones, which do taste really strong. But it is possible to get them fresh, or preserved only in vinegar or oil (alici) and they taste like a pleasant slightly oily fish with light flavor. I ask a local market to get fresh ones and they usually don’t, saying that they are too exotic (FFS). But they usually do have little jars of oiled ones in the pasta section near the capers and olives.

I like cured ones also, but need to be in a certain mood for those.

2 Likes

I had whale served 5 ways on my last trip to Japan. There’s a place in Shibuya not off the main drag that serves it, complete with a sign in English with pictures so you’re not horrified later on that you ate Free Willy.

It’s just OK. I’ll take beef any day of the week.

So do we believe Seriouseats but now say America’s Test Kitchen is full of shite?

I go with the fact that brining does in fact increase the salt content of the protein. There are limits to its effects and its not always needed for all applications. I am of the mind set a roasted chicken doesn’t need it, a roasted Turkey does.

1 Like

What?
Is that again some meme I didn’t know about, or are you sicere?

It’s really easy to do a good curry. Three major points. First, your spices need to be fresh (dry, but not the bland stuff sitting on your shelf. It’s shelf death, not shelf life, considering many spices). Second, you need the right tools: a proper stone mortar and/or or grinder and a proper heavy pan (preferably with a lid), and a proper stove (preferably gas or induction). Third, you need to roast most spices shortly before grinding, not just warm them and not burn them.
The rest is up to your taste. No science, no art: just a mixture as per recipe. Basis is often some mustard, fenugreek seeds and/or leaves, cumin.
There is nothing special about Indian curry mixtures you can’t do at home.

Thai currys, that’s something else entirely. That’s street art, that is. (The whole dish, mind. Not only the paste.)

2 Likes

Rightly so. Tried it. Flatmate brought it from Kiruna. Terrible experience, expletive automatically included. The taste is surprisingly mild for the stink, but lingers on for a while. Bit fishy, bit garlicky (HS-compounds, I think), slightly salty. Not worth the expletive, pardon: experience.

Keep away from the stuff, that’s my advice. On the other hand, it’s a VERY effective measure to clear a room of people.

1 Like

My prior complaints to one side. I tend to be pretty basic with spices. Black pepper (course,) Garlic, salt, steak seasoning, cinnamon, and chili powders. Oh! And whatever the hell is in the blank bottle mom uses to mix in her breading for fried chicken. I’m starting to suspect it’s cocaine considering how tasty said chicken is.

2 Likes

I loved reading this book. Have you heard of it?

https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Virginity-Sublime-Scandalous-World/dp/0393343618

It gave me some new perspectives and made me appreciate “cloudy” or rustic olive oil much more. I mean, now I understand why my pasta taste so different than my mom’s (she’s a German, and she thinks that brown mustard and horseradish are super spicy).

The interview with the author is nice too:

Buon appetito!

5 Likes

Two things: DOP, and (especially) organically produced and properly certified.

Sorry to pull a true verecundiam, but I must. As a botanist, and ecologist, I have seen intensive olive agriculture in Morocco, Spain, Portugal, and parts of the Balkans. I have also seen non-intensive and organically producing cultures. I haven’t been to Italy and Greece, but I take my colleagues word for it that the situation is similar all around the Mediterranean. There is simply no way to produce a cheap olive oil which is environmentally friendly, and the Mediterranean is one of the world’s hotspots for biodiversity.
I don’t buy cheap olive oil any more. Especially from Morocco and Spain. Additionally off-putting: I saw people work there, too. It felt like watching slave labour, as a white, privileged, spoiled brat.

Nope. Not even in Paxos, I believe.
That’s why there is a great variety of fraicheurs. (Which range from awesome to zraaaaaaaghhhhchhhhhhitburneths!)

3 Likes

Pickled ginger!
Japanese homemade miso!
Japanese homemade pickles!
Oshinko! Umeboshi! Tsunonomo!
Natto!

(sigh)

I promise you the good stuff is around, but you might have to look harder.

2 Likes

I havent!!! I will definitely find it though.

I have super low cholesterol, which is a serious issue. One of the “cures” is to consume more olive oil (also red wine and salmon, and both do not like me at all).

1 Like